Chapter 4 - Shiny Beginnings

Elios sat at one of the main gardens on Felerian Isle. Felerian Isle was a floating island that sat high above the Wall, another one of the seven territories. It housed all Felerian, a species known for their extraordinary wings and never ending life spans.

The island was nothing new, it was quite bland, especially the gardens. All the flowers were white. White roses, lilies, carnations, tulips. Really any plant that could be white was there.

White was a sacred color to the Felerian. It stood for the pure blood line of the royal family. All royals were supposed to, or required, to have white wings. They were bred to be that way to Elios distaste. He didn't know why it mattered. Or why the island mattered.

Why were they the lucky ones to have a floating island? He questioned it all the time. Every time he went down to the Surface World, it would strike like a piercing arrow. The poor were skin and bone, barely living on a thread. And you know what the Felerian did? Lived on an island where no one could get to. Most never left either. It sickened him. How could they sit up here and ignore what was going on down there?

"It's time to go, Elios." It was barely even morning, if you could call it that. It was still dark out. No sun, just the twinkling of stars. He just grunted in response.

"Stop brooding. I'd like to get to Mortal Plains before sunrise." Finally he turned around to meet a familiar, agitating voice.

"I'm not brooding, Daera. Just... contemplating."

"Uh huh." Her face didn't look too sure. "Come on, let's go." Daera waved her arms towards the edge of the island, where they would be diving off. He followed with no complaints.

He stretched his wings, testing them for flight. He stared down at the clouds below. They were so far away. A Felerian with a fear of heights? It was quite strange. He told himself he really wasn't afraid of the jump, just jitters. His head was slightly dizzy.

A dark blur dropped from the sky. Daera was already diving. Her light gray wings the only indicator. He could faintly see her braids flying behind her.

Fluttering his wings once again, he jumped.

--------

The room was bright. Very bright. Gold pillars and a golden throne. Clusters of lit chandeliers hung above. In the center of the gold was King Magrid. His dark hair was slicked back sporting an also gold crown, many jewels decorated the rim. His beard was even shiny.

"Welcome back my friends." Both Elios and Daera stopped at the dais and bowed.

"It is an honor to be back." Elios swore he could hear Daera trying to hold in a laugh. It wasn't working.

"When shall your other companions arrive?" The king asked

"Shortly, Your Majesty." He had sent three letters out to some friends, requesting their help. He honestly didn't know if they'd show.

"How many have you invited on this quest?"

"Only three." Elios responded.

"Who are these three?" His questions unsettled Elios.

"One from the Shifter kingdom, another from the Winter Court, and a witch." Why exactly did he want to know?

"Perfect!" What was perfect? "I also have a request to ask of you!" The king's voice was too cheery, too happy. He was up to something.

"And what is this request?" Might as well play along.

"I have this hunter that might come in use to you." There's the catch. Elios had requested the king to use the Mortal Plains gate to enter the forest. After exiting the gate it would be a straight shot to Deaths Row. "She is quite talented. She hunts in Sufferian Valley. I believe she would be a very useful asset. A guide perhaps?" A useful tool indeed.

"I'll have to think about it, your majesty. As of right now I'm in no need of a guide." He never even thought of the idea. He's been beyond the Sufferian Valley many times, but that was before the Hell Raid.

"You might change your mind, prince." His once bright voice was now serious.

A servant rushed into the room and up the dais, he cupped a hand around the king's ear and whispered. The king considered for a moment, then spoke.

"Send them in." The servant rushed off down the dais and out of the throne room doors. "Your companions are here."

The throne room's doors opened once more to two figures. One was significantly taller than the other with a paler complexion. Pointy tipped ears poked out from his bluish-white hair. Atlas Nailo, one of the many princes in the Winter Court.

The other only came up to Atlas's shoulders, his skin the color of carmel. A black mop of hair sat atop his head. Kal'on Eun, a dragon shifter.

Relief flooded through him at the sight of his two friends. "Ey, You guys made it!" Elios marched over to Kal, clapping his arm against Kal's in greeting.

"It's been too long my friend." Kal said, squeezing Elios's hand. In reality, it hadn't. During his tour around the different territories he had made a stop to see Kal and Atlas, when he could.

"Finally you guys are here! Now we just need the witch." Daera exclaimed.

"We're not in a rush Daera. Calm down." Elios said, clapping her on the back.

"Witch?" Atlas questioned.

"I invited a healer."

"Why do we need a healer?" Kal questioned. The sound of someone clearing their throat snapped them out of their conversation. The king stared down at them expectantly.

"Please, introduce yourselves." King Magrid demanded. Kal stepped up first.

"It's great to finally meet you, Your Majesty. I'm Kal'on Eun, hailing from the Dragon Clan." Kal bowed, Atlas not far behind him.

"Atlas Nailo." The kings scrutinized them for a couple of seconds.

"I welcome you to my home." The king bowed his head. "Please, use my libraries as you wait for your friend." In other words, I'll call on you when my representative arrives. Fantastic...

--------

The wooden chair creaked as Elios leaned back. Thousands upon thousands of books surrounded him. The smell of parchment flooded his nostrils.

"How long is this going to take!" Kal yelled, chucking a book that he attempted to read. It clunked uselessly against a bookshelf.

"It's only been twenty minutes." Daera stared at him blankly then the book that now lay on the floor.

"Twenty minutes of hell!" Kal screamed. His chair screeched back as he stood abruptly. "I say we leave!"

"We can't, we have to wait on Althea." Elios said.

"Who needs the witch anyway!" Atlas shook his head at Kal's words.

"Who needs who?" Everyone turned around to the new voice. Behind Kal stood a short blonde, her hair braided back in two sections. "Sorry I'm late. Had some trouble at the border." At all borders between the territories a identity check is needed. Unless you're a higher standing individual you can just walk through.

"You're here now, that's all that matters." Atlas said calmly.

"We can finally leave!" Kal declared marching towards the giant oak door. Two guards stood watch at either side.

"You cannot pass. Orders of the king." One of the guards stepped forward, a hand out as a warning.

Of course it wouldn't be that easy.

"Why not!" Kal clenched his fist.

"King's orders." The guard repeated. He stretched out his spear, blocking the exit. "Not until the hunter arrives."

"Hunter?" Kal's fist rose.

"What he means to say," Elios grabbed Kal's fist moving slowly back to his side. "Is that we will wait." For the hunter that he didn't want.