Chapter 7 - Things that Hide

"Cirdan!" A flash of white raced across her vision, towards the boy that appeared like a ghost. Ezra thought he was with his deathly pale butterfly wings but color splashed his face rosy. Fluffy golden brown hair glimmered in the dark forest. "What are you doing here!?" Elios crashed to the ground before the boy, clutching at his small face.

"I didn't want to be left alone again! I'm old enough to travel with you!" The boy, Cirdan claimed. Elios stared at him stricken.

"How did you even get out here!"

"I flew."

"You... you flew!" Ezra swore Elios's eyes were going to pop out of his head. "What if someone saw you!" At this point, Elios would wake up the whole forest.

"Alright. Alright. Cirdan why don't you sit by the fire and rest." Daera said, cutting in. She placed her hand over Cirdan's shoulder, guiding him toward Kal'on and Atlas.

Elios stayed crouched on the ground staring at the darkness in daze. Ezra could only imagine the thoughts going through his mind. The itch to comfort him forced her to take a step but she stopped. She wasn't here to make friends.

Instead her feet guided her to where she once sat a tree farthest from the fire but enough to be warm. There she sat alone, looking on as a spectator.

She watched as Althea dished out food, giving her some. She watched as Kal'on entertained Cirdan. Daera and Atlas made conversation. Elios slowly migrated toward the fire, sitting next to what she assumed was his brother. His shoulders still stiff from Cirdan's sudden appearance.

Ezra was left alone.

She took the role of guarding and focused on the forest. Watching and waiting for the dead Corpius's companions. Her eyes burned, bloodshot.

"Who are you?" Ezra turned her head from the forest, glancing at the boy who stood before her. Cirdan's eyes gleaming with curiosity.

"Ezra and you are?" She looked around, searching for anyone to take the kid away. She didn't realize she had been on the lookout for so long, everyone else had fallen asleep.

"The second prince of Felerain Isle, Cirdan Vennin."

"It's nice to meet you Prince Cirdan." Ezra bowed her head in acknowledgement.

Not a moment later he plopped down beside her. His wings tickled her, light as a feather.

"What are you doing?" Cirdan asked.

"Watching." Ezra answered simply.

"Watching what?"

"The forest." The idea of conversing with others drained Ezra but for some reason talking to Cirdan didn't have that same effect. "And what are you doing? Aren't you supposed to be asleep?" She mean't her words as a tease but the look on Cirdan's face showed the opposite of laughter.

"I tried." She understood his meaning. Everyone had nightmares, some more harsh than others. The weight of gruesome dreams is something she knew well.

"What do you dream of?" She knew it was a bad question to ask but sometimes telling someone was the best release. But the boy stayed quiet. His eyes drilled into the dry soil they sat on. "I have nightmares as well." She said, trying to comfort the anxious boy.

"What do you dream of?" Cirdan repeated her question.

"Dark, dark memories." Her voice hitched at the memory. "But I also have wonderful dreams. Not all things wish to haunt you." Comforting someone was never her forte. Words were never her gift either.

Cirdan leaned his head against his shoulder making her tense. "Can I stay here?" Shock flashed through her.

"Of course." Ezra responded. "Now rest." That's exactly what he did, soft snores soon sounded beside her.