t w o

I wake up and try to check the clock. It's blinking which means the power must've gone out. I'll have to reset it later.

First, coffee.

I put on a gray zip-up sweater and head down stairs. I can hear stuff happening in the kitchen so I assume my auntie is awake cooking stuff.

"Good morning." I say and walk towards the coffee machine that sings to me.

"Good morning!" She responds cheerfully.

"What time is it? My clock has to be reset." I ask her as she scrambles the eggs on the stove.

"9:30. Nancy slept at Johnathan's last night and Mike is still sleeping." She looks back at me.

"I was thinking to get a summer job." I announce and she looks at me with a wide grin.

"Oh honey! That's such a great idea." She runs over and gives me a large hug that almost suffocates me.

"I was thinking Scoops Ahoy at the mall." She pulls away from the hug and pats my shoulders.

"I think it'd be good for you." She whispers as a tear falls down her cheek.

She's not crying about me trying to get a summer job. She's crying about my mom, her sister. Her sister that was killed by my dad's drinking and driving.

"Okay. I'm gonna go get ready and head to the mall." I say to her and walk back up the stairs.

When I get to my room, I grab my toothbrush and hairbrush from my dresser. I head to the bathroom and I brush my teeth and my hair. I walk back into my room and looks through my closet.

I decide on an red and white striped top and jean shorts. I grab my pair of white converse and say by to my aunt Karen. I shut the door and start heading towards the mall.

About 20 minutes later, I arrive to the mall and head straight for the ice cream shop. When I enter the little shop, there is a boy I have seen hanging out with Mike before. He has curly hair and a cap on.

"Hi." the boy says to Robin, who hasn't noticed me yet.

"Hi." She responds.

"I'm Dustin." The boy speaks again. I remember Dustin. He was a sweet kid.

"I'm Robin." She looks un-phased.

"Pleasure to meet you. Uh, is he here?" He asks trying to look around Robin.

"Is who here?" Robin is cut off when the door behind her slams open, an excited Steve rushing out.

"Henderson!" He says, excitedly.

Dustin laughs and Steve continues to shout and jump around. They do their weird handshake thing and Robin is confused.

"How many children are you friends with?" Robin asks once the two boys are done.

Steve rolls his eyes and points to her.

My eyebrows are raised and I let out a little laugh. Once I do, Robin, Steve, and Dustin's eyes move towards me. I smile at them and walk towards the counter.

"You guys need another worker?" I ask with a sweet smile.

Robin nods and grabs the job application from behind the register. She hands it to me as-well as a pen.

I quickly fill out the application and hand it back to her. Steve and Dustin have migrated to a booth and are talking.

"So am I hired?" I jokingly ask Robin.

She laughs, "You should know by tomorrow. Our boss will be coming by later to do a couple things."

I nod and walk towards the booth that Steve and Dustin are sitting at. I sit down next to Steve who looks confused. Dustin gives me the same look.