s i x

The next day, I arrive at the mall and Dustin isn't there. I walk up to the counter to where I see Steve slinging ice cream.

I totally forgot that I even applied to work here. I guess I got so caught up in the whole evil Russian thing.

"Heya Stevie." I say to before walking past him into the back room.

I can practically feel him glaring holes into the back of my head.

Robin is sitting down in a chair when I walk in.

"Hey, where's Dustin?" I ask her as I sit down across from her.

"On the roof where we were last night, scouting." She responds.

I nod and walk over to the sliding window. Steve turns around to look at me and I give him a smile.

"Stevie, can you make me an ice cream? Cookies and cream, of course." I ask him while slamming a few dollars down onto the sill.

He stares at me for a second before snatching the money, harshly.

"Wow, is someone grumpy?" I ask him.

"No, you're just weird." He shrugs before turning around to scoop my ice cream.

I put a hand to my chest, pretending to be offended once he turns back around to face me.

He hands me my ice cream, "Didn't you apply here like 2 or 3 weeks ago?"

I shrug, "Yeah but I kind of forgot about it."

Robin speaks from behind me, "Oh my god, I totally forgot to tell you, you were hired."

"Wait...what?" I turn around to face her, licking my ice cream.

"Yeah, your uniform is hanging up." She says and points towards the clothing rack.

"Oh." I shrug and walk towards it.

I pull it off the hanger, "Stevie! Do you want the rest of this ice cream?" I ask him

"No." He responds from the sliding window.

I shrug and throw it in the trash and head to a bathroom to change.

I need to start making money.

I return to the back room in my new uniform.

"What'd ya think?" I ask Steve, who is now in the back room.

"Just as nerdy as me and Robin's." He answers, staring at me with a blank expression.

I roll my eyes, "I happen to think Robin's uniform looks hot."

"What about my uniform?" He fake pouts.

"Eh, your's is okay." I shrug.

I mean the uniform is kind of working for him.

But... I won't admit that.

He glares at me, which he does a lot.

"You're a douche, Harrington."

***

Dustin returns to the shop and he explains what he saw while he was having a "stake out."

"That keycard opens the door, but unfortunately, the Russian with this keycard also has a massive gun. Whatever's in this room, whatever's in those boxes, they really don't want anybody finding it." The curly-haired boy speaks.

"But there's gotta be a way in." Robin states.

Steve blows into his hat, "Well, you know..." he leans forward, "I could just take him out."