Prologue

Addison Mary Kathryn Harrington was adopted by a lovely couple at 3 days old. There were some days when she still wondered why they adopted a black child, but that may be an answer she never gets.

When Steven Michael Harrington first held his sister, he knew that he would forever protect her: she was his best friend from the first giggle.

As young kids, they did absolutely everything together. Steve never let her miss out on anything. And Addison, attended every event of his'.

As they got older and more independent, their parents went on more business trips. Addison never cared, she always had her big brother there to protect her. Most nights, she slept in Steve's bed, scared that she'll have another nightmare; but laying next to Steve seemed to keep them away most nights.

At school, Addison was seen as a goddess. The only people allowed to call her by her first name were a select few. Everyone else called her Mary Kate.

Last year when Will Byers went missing, Addison was left in shambles when her newfound friend, Eleven didn't make it back from their rescue for him and the killing of the Demogorgon.

For Addison, making friends was easy. It was trusting them that was hard. Her best friends in the whole wide world seemed to be William Byers and Erica Sinclair. The young preteen could Stan the 8-year-old better than her brother.

The 'party' thought that everything was going back to normal, but it all changed when a certain family moves from California.