Chapter 3: Train like never before

Ash didn't think it was possible, but he found himself overheating even as the icy winds of Mt. Silver blew past him and his Pokemon.

"Come on, guys, no giving up now!" Ash cried out to the Pokemon around him, who struggled up the mountainside beside him. Like his Pokemon, Ash wore a weighted vest made worse by a series of excruciatingly crushing metal spring-like bindings that contracted the arms inward like a vice.

This forced Ash and all his Pokemon to work nearly three times harder just to move their upper bodies at all. Many wild Pokemon watched the human and his convoy of Pokemon with interest, fear, or confusion.

"Pika!"

"Dile!"

"Grauu!!"

"Ape!"

Ash's Pokemon mirrored their trainer's determination and fought against the elements and overwhelming burden until finally, they reached the summit. Ash breathed heavily and kept up his grim determination as he and Pikachu stared at eleven figures who awaited them.

Daniel stood directly across from Ash with his Charizard, Torterra, Talonflame, Lucario, Aggron, Tyranitar, Feraligatr, Tyrantrum, Tauros, and Haxorus flanking him. The Pokemon Kaiser and his Pokemon all shared the same impatient smile.

"It took you long enough."

A few of Ash's Pokemon growled, but Ash, Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, and many more merely smiled back.

"Sorry, we have over thirty Tauros with us." Ash said, emphasizing the herd bringing up the rear of his party.

"Well, now that you're warmed up, are you ready for some real training?" Despite the intense strain, it put on their bodies, Ash and his Pokemon all took a fighting stance.

"We're ready!!"

"Pika!"

"Talon!"

"Hawl!"

"Bay!"

"Kingler!!!"

Daniel lowered his hood and smiled wider.

"Good, let's get started." Ash and all his Pokemon raced towards the Kaiser's team, their fiery blood keeping the cold at a distance.

Ash lunged for Daniel and tried to strike him, only for the Kaiser to knock it aside effortlessly. Ash's Pokemon came at Daniel's in groups, though Charizard forced himself to meet Daniel's Charizard first, only to meet a similar fate as his trainer.

Daniel's team kept back Ash's Pokemon and forced them to exert themselves like never before. Day after day, week after week, month after month, all day, every day. At least until several months later, Ash stood on one end of the Mount Lanakila stadium on Ula'Ula island in Alola.

A middle-aged man sighed as he approached his unconscious Bouffalant.

"Bouffalant, I'm sorry we couldn't win." When Adler and his Bouffalant opened their eyes, they saw Ash, with Pikachu on his shoulder, extend his hand down. His Lycanroc stood beside him along with Gengar, Oshawott, Staraptor, Tauros, and Bayleef.

"That was quite a battle. You guys did amazing." Adler smiled a little and took Ash's hand to get up.

"Thank you. It's been too long since I faced a champion." Both shook hands as the audience lit up with applause.

"There you have it, folks! Ash has won the battle and retained his title of Alolan Champion against the former Unova Champion, Adler!" A board showed all six of Adler's Pokemon with the lights blacked out beneath his picture. Across from him rested Ash's picture with Oshawott, Gengar, Bayleef, and Tauro's lights dimmed.