Chapter 9: The Final Battle

New Viridian City's stadium was packed to the gills with spectators to the point where almost no one could move without bumping into someone or their Pokemon.

Fortunately for Ash's close friends and his other Pokemon not taking part in the battle, they sat in a private box on the upper-right end. Misty, Brock, Lucy with Jasmine, Tracy, both Oaks, Kukui, Burnet, Lei, Ash's Alolan friends, Clemont, Shauna, Bonnie, Tierno, Trevor, Iris, Cilian, Goh, Chloe, Gary, Leaf, Max, Sawyer, Zoey, Barry, Dawn, Zach, May, and a boy Ash's age beside her.

The young man had fair skin, brown eyes covered by glasses, and brown hair covered by a white hat.

"Ashamed my dad couldn't be here. He always spoke highly of Ash." The young man said while May rested her head against his shoulder.

"Professor Birch is a busy man, Brendan. But I'm sure he's watching from Hoenn." Brendan was May's boyfriend and Professor Birch's son. He'd recently taken Drake's spot on the Hoenn Elite 4 and was slated to face Steven Stone at the end of the year.

Misty and Brock sweatdropped immensely while they stared at Felix and his Lucario, who sat nearby.

"So you're Ash's dad?" Misty asked.

"Hai." Felix said.

"And you've been gone all this time." Misty gave him a stern look, but Brock appeared more sympathetic.

"He came back." Brock said, thinking of his own father's return.

"And he'll be staying this time." Felix sweatdropped as Delia wrapped her arms around him tightly.

"Isn't that right, dear?" The iron in Delia's voice made Felix turn slightly pale.

"Hai."

His Lucario chuckled with the others while Oak stared down at the battlefield.

"After all this time, two of my students face off against each other for the crown."

Gary and Leaf watched with similar interest.

"Are you doing ok, Gary?" Leaf asked.

"Hai, I'm fine. I'm ok with just being Champion of Johto. It gives me something to work towards." Gary said optimistically.

Recently, he'd been defeated by a challenger who now held the title of Kanto Champion. However, only two days prior, Gary secured his position as Johto Champion by defeating Harrison at Mt. Silver, forcing Harrison to retain a position in the new Johto Elite 4 instead of Champion.

Gary glanced over at another Private Box nearby, where the new Kanto Champion sat alongside the Kanto Elite 4, except Misty, Steven Stone, his Elite 4, except Brendan, Cynthia, her and Daniel's son, and the Sinnoh Elite 4 except Zach, Diantha, and her Elite 4, Leon, Iris's Elite 4, Alain, Mairin, and the Kalos Elite 4.

Among the Kalos Elite, 4 was Korrina, who'd replaced Drasna recently. However, Korrina didn't sit with Alain and the other top Kalos trainers. Instead, she sat beside the new Kanto Champion and rested her head on his shoulder.

"One day." Gary said with an eager smile as he looked at the other champions.

It wasn't just Elite 4 and Champions who joined the audience. Gym Leaders, Frontier Brains, and other top trainers from around the world gathered to see the battle to end all battles.

Paul sat on the west side of the stadium with Tyson and Ritchie on the other side. Trip and Cameron watched from the east side and Morrison two rows above them.

Hau and Tobias sitting together a few rows down from a private box.

Below them, Ash stood in a corridor leading to the battlefield with Pikachu on his shoulder. They stared out at the doorway, which concentrated the sound from thousands of cheering fans towards them.