Chapter 8: Father and Son

Serena found herself lost for words as she stared at Ash and then back at Felix. A tense silence lingered between them, and neither she, Pikachu, nor Sylveon quite knew what to make of the situation.

"Ash." Felix motioned towards him, but he jerked away.

"No! Get away from me!!!"

"Ash-" Serena started.

"Pika."

"Ash, I just want to talk." Felix pleaded while trying to approach him again, only for Ash to violently smack his hand away.

"Just want to talk!? Is that all you can really say!!? I haven't seen or even heard from you since I was a boy!"

"Ash, I made a mistake-"

"A mistake!? A pretty big mistake and one that's lasted almost two decades!!!" Ash shook with a mixture of raw fury and emotion in a way Serena never imagined Ash was capable of. Even his bad loss to Wulfric seemed like nothing to what she saw now.

It only now struck her that Serena had never actually asked Ash about his father. Both had only ever discussed their mothers. Serena assumed Ash's father had merely passed away, but she understood his reaction after hearing Felix's story.

"Son, please."

"Grouuu!!!" Felix's Lucario similarly pleaded to Pikachu, hoping that he'd do something, but Pikachu remained silent.

Ash smacked Felix's hand away once again, tears filling his eyes.

"Don't call me that!? You didn't want to be my dad for years. You don't get to just come back now and claim to be!!!" Ash grabbed Pikachu and almost shoved him onto his shoulder.

"Ash!" Felix and Serena shouted.

"Stay away from me!!!" Ash roared at Felix before he leaped off the rooftop. Serena and Felix both sprinted over alongside Lucario and Sylveon, each looking over the railing with Ash nowhere in sight.

"Ash." They muttered as several raindrops hit their exposed skin.

(XXXX-soundtrack: Halo ODST Asphalt and Asphalt and Ablution (Piano+Rain))

A downpour now covered New Viridian City, and Ash walked through the deserted streets, so numb to the world around him that he didn't even notice this or his soaked clothes.

"Pika." Pikachu tried to nudge his head against Ash's face, but he didn't react. Instead, the trainer kept his head towards the ground and wandered aimlessly with seemingly nowhere to go.

"Pika!! Pikachu!!!!" Pikachu jumped in front of Ash and tried to block him, but he merely reached down and put the electric mouse back on his shoulder without a word.

"Pika! Pika chu!!!!!!" Pikachu got so desperate that he shocked Ash with electricity, hoping beyond hope it would snap him out of his trance. Yet to Pikachu's horror, Ash looked as if nothing had happened and merely continued walking.

"Pika." Pikachu teared up.

Elsewhere, Lucario similarly tried to get Felix up. Both rode on top of a moving train with Felix curled up and staring out into the distance.

"Grouu!!!" Lucario pleaded, frantically attempting to press his consciousness into Felix's via their aura bond, but Felix had cut himself off.

Ash arrived at the base of his apartment building with Pikachu still crying.

"Ash." Pikachu wiped away a few of his tears with hope when he finally saw Ash's expression change upon hearing this voice.

Both looked up at Serena, who stood between them and the apartment entrance, soaked just like Ash and Pikachu.