Chapter 6: New Viridian City

It was still early in the morning in New Viridian City, and a light shined from the rising sun into a large apartment built atop a massive tower complex. The condo itself was well-furnished and designed, though slightly messy, particularly around a pull-up bar and similar equipment.

One area masterfully well-maintained was a sizable Pokemon enclosure, just like those used by professors to house their trainers' Pokemon. This area took up most of the apartment, comprising plenty of grass, a few trees, and a pond.

Ash's Pokemon happily finished their breakfast as the trainer himself checked on his phone near the entrance.

"Pika." Pikachu saw and sensed Ash's angst as he looked over a message. The electric mouse finished eating and ran up his trainer's leg, eventually reaching his shoulder.

"Pika?" Pikachu looked closer and realized it was a message from Daniel. He was asking Ash if he was ready for their official match and when he wanted to have it. This wasn't the first time since they returned home that he'd asked Ash. Ash hesitated, and after a deep breath, he responded with a single word.

"Soon." Ash didn't immediately send it but waited a moment. Still, even this wasn't a concise answer, and Pikachu knew it.

"Pika." Pikachu nudged Ash's head, but he merely stroked him back and walked toward the others.

"Alright, listen up. " Ash's Pokemon all heard the conflict in his voice, and the look on Pikachu's face told them everything. A general sense of excitement and nervousness went through all of Ash's Pokemon, though some remained calmer than others, Greninja in particular.

"I've thought it through very carefully, and I want you all to know that I wish I could use everyone for the battle. Please know that I think you're all ready, but I had to-" Ash's Pokemon cut him off with a series of cries and a collective look of reassurance. Ash smiled warmly, knowing his Pokemon all understood.

"Alright, here's the team who'll face Daniel. Infernape."

"Ape!!!" Infernape roared as the flame on his head grew, and he pounded his chest victoriously while those around him offered congratulations.

"Sceptile."

"Tile!!!" Sceptile nodded in appreciation towards Ash.

"Greninja."

"Gre." Greninja raised his fist to Ash, who bumped it back.

"Lucario."

"Grouu!!!!!" Lucario eagerly raised both fists and shadowboxed.

"Chairzard."

"Grauuu!!!" Charizard breathed fire into the air and flexed his arms. By now, Ash's Charizard was nearly as big as Daniel's and similarly had exaggerated claws/fangs, and muscles. Additionally, like Daniel's Charizard, his orange skin started to turn black, though his tail flame and stomach had turned blue.

"And you too, Pikachu."

"Pika!!!!"

The rest of Ash's Pokemon let out cries of encouragement and anticipation, despite not being picked, each understanding. By then, Ash had used all of his Pokemon numerous times in various battles as Alolan Champion, and none felt left out.

"Alright, I still haven't narrowed down when we're facing him just yet. So until then, we're going to keep training!!!"

"Ape!"

"Tile!"

"Gre."

"Grouu!!!"

"Pika!"