Chapter 12

"Maybe my mom's outside," Jeremy said as he did one last scan in the foyer. He led the group through the crowd of party guests to a side door to the backyard.

The sun was still shining, and guests were mingling around the giant rear garden. A slideshow presentation featuring pictures of the deceased projected onto a giant white screen, but no one was paying attention to it. Everyone seemed mostly fixated on their mindless chit-chat and the fancy hors d'oeuvres and champagne that servers were carrying around on trays.

"There she is!" Jeremy said, pointing toward a cabana where an older blonde lady wearing massive white pearls was chatting with an elderly man. The man looked almost identical to the guy featured in the Monopoly board game.

"Sweetheart!" Jeremy's mom said as the group made it over to her. "I didn't know you were coming!" She embraced her son tightly before turning to the man she was speaking with. "Was lovely catching up with you, Charles."

Taking the hint, the man named Charles nodded and strutted away to another group of people nearby.

"Hi, Mom. Yeah, it was a last-minute thing," Jeremy replied. "And these are some friends of mine: Lana, Chloe, and you know Jack of course."

"Hi, dears. Welcome to my party! I hope you enjoy yourself today!" said Jeremy's mom, clearly forgetting that she was hosting a memorial and not a party. "Please call me Susan."

"Thanks, Susan. You have a lovely home," said Lana as she and Chloe smiled back at the woman.

"Mom, we can't stay and talk. I have a super important question for you. Remember that box I gave you for the auction? Do you know who bought it?"

"Honey, you know I can't disclose that information."

"Mom, please, it's really important."

"Jeremy, sweetie, no. Not only does that go against the code of conduct, I don't think I even know who did actually buy it. It may have been an anonymous bidder."

"Well, is there any way we could find out? Please? I accidentally gave you something that belonged to Lana."

Susan looked at Lana. "Oh, dear. Sorry about that. I wish I could help. I, unfortunately, do not know who the buyer was."

Lana took a deep breath in. Jeremy's mom seemed nice but didn't seem to care all that much.

"Mrs. Steiner, do you know if there's anyone we could ask to find out that information? It would really mean a lot to me personally if you could share it with us," said Jack.

Susan looked at Jack and then back at the rest of the group. "Oh, you kids." She paused for a moment and seemed to be persuaded by her son's charming friend's words. She continued in almost a whisper while she clutched her pearls. "Well, let's pretend I didn't say anything, but there may be some invoices on my computer. I don't know for sure if you'll be able to find out a name, but that's the only thing I can think of."

Jeremy hugged his mom, and the group all smiled and released a collective sigh. It wasn't much, but it was the best lead they had.

"Thanks so much, Mrs. Steiner. We'll try not to bother you again tonight," said Jack.

"Oh, you kids are no bother at all. Have fun at the party—I mean, um, the memorial. Very, very sad, what happened to Stewart," she added.

"Stefan," Jeremy said.

Susan didn't catch Jeremy's correction as she was waving to some passing attendees. She turned back to the group. "Now you kids go along and have fun."

Jeremy rolled his eyes and then turned to his friends. "Follow me!"