Chapter 29

As night fell, the butterflies in Lana's stomach grew. She kept reciting in her head: Drop the goods, leave, go home. Over and over again. She could tell Jack was on edge too as he paced around their giant guest room and tried to keep busy with organizing his things in his suitcase.

They went over the plan together and the route they needed to take with the car Antonio provided. All they needed to do was get to the docks by 11 PM sharp and stand by as the receivers unloaded the boxes that were in the back of the truck.

At about 10:30 PM and after being served a quick chicken tagine dinner, Jack and Lana headed out. Lana kept fidgeting with the radio but couldn't find any stations that had music she recognized or liked. She turned off the radio, and the two sat in silence as Jack drove.

"What do you think is in those boxes in the back?" Lana asked as she gazed out of her window at the passing city lights.

"Probably drugs."

"DRUGS?" Lana's eyes grew wide.

Jack smirked. "Yeah, I think most likely. I mean, we're delivering boxes, late at night, to a sketchy dock area."

Lana gasped. "Oh my gosh. I'm officially a drug dealer. What if we get addicted?"

"Addicted to what? Drug dealing?"

"Yeah, I mean, like, don't people love doing that stuff?"

Jack laughed. Oh, how Lana missed hearing his laugh. That's definitely something I could get addicted to.

"I have a hard time seeing how we'd get addicted to this. I'll probably shit my pants as soon as we get there."

Lana laughed, and from the corner of her eye, she saw Jack turn to her for a moment.

She was about to say something back when she noticed a random roadside police checkpoint up ahead. Her stomach dropped, and her palms began to sweat. "Umm, wait. Are we going to hit that checkpoint?"

Jack squinted, and his white knuckles gripped the steering wheel. "Shit, shit, shit, shit! Yes, I think we are."

"Oh my gosh. Okay, just act natural. What should we say?"

"I have no clue. Um, we look so sketchy right now driving this big truck in the middle of the night."

"Quick! Hold my hand!" Lana reached out and grabbed Jack's hand.

"What? Why?"

"Just be cool. Make it look like we're backpacking through Morocco in our truck."

"And going to a boat?"

"I don't know! I haven't thought that far ahead!"

They both quieted as soon as Jack pulled up to the checkpoint and brought his window down. The officer, who was holding a long gun across his chest, eyed both of them. Lana could feel the moisture swimming in between her and Jack's interlaced grip. Neither dared let go for fear of breaking their 'well-thought-out' cover.

"What you have in truck?" the officer asked in his thick accent as leaned closer into the car opening.

Drugs. We have drugs.

"Just some of our things. We're on our honeymoon and going to see the boats at night." Jack smiled. Lana couldn't believe how coolly Jack responded, and even she believed him for a moment.

"Open back please." The officer stepped back and waited for Jack to get out of the car and open the trunk.

Lana tried to keep her cool but felt like her chest was about to explode. Her heart rate was going so fast that she thought she might pass out. Jack let go of her hand and gave her a look she couldn't read before stepping out of the truck. He walked to the back, and Lana could hear him fidgeting with the lock. She needed to do something. Quick.