Chapter 23

Camel riding with Jack was easily one of the best experiences of Lana's life. She was also grateful that Jack at least got a taste of a normal camel before they finished the tour. It went on a little longer than Lana originally wanted, but she was so getting used to Jack's arms wrapped around her and the way he tickled her anytime she made fun of his camel-riding abilities.

After the tour, they went back to the riad to freshen up for their dinner plans. Jack came out of the bathroom dressed up and ready to go in a white button-down top and dark jeans. He looked good. Really good. And Lana stared as he rummaged around his bag for his watch.

He looked up, and she quickly looked away, cheeks hot, feeling like she was just caught ogling, yet again, at him. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see a grin form on his face. Now he was staring at her.

"What?" Lana said as her eyes met his.

"Nothing." He continued to smile. "You look really beautiful tonight."

"Oh," she managed to say. "Thank you."

"Ready to go?"

"Yes! I'm starving!"

Jack grabbed Lana's hand like it was completely natural for them to be holding hands, walking through the old city toward the restaurant. Like nothing weird at all was happening inside her stomach when his fingers intertwined with hers.

They had not said anything at all to each other, but it felt like they had this unspoken connection. The only thing was, she didn't know how to bring up the topic with Jack. She hoped he felt the same way about her, but she wasn't sure why he hadn't said anything yet or even asked her to re-think the friend proposal.

The restaurant was just as nice as the riad. A heavy-set Moroccan man whose smile could brighten anyone's day welcomed them in. He guided them up the stairs to the rooftop terrace. Lana guessed it wasn't a popular night to go out as there was only one other party there—two women who looked like they were almost done with their food.

As the man led them to their table, the dusk sky washed a carefree feeling over Lana. The view was breathtaking, and the sun setting made it more beautiful. "Wow, you have a really lovely view."

"Thank you," said the jolly man. "Would you like for me take picture?" His thick accent was evident through his wide smile.

"Um, sure." Lana looked at Jack, who shrugged his shoulders.

She handed the man her phone and stood next to Jack by the railing facing away from the sunset. She felt his hand rest on her waist, and her stomach fluttered for the hundredth time that day.

"Very nice," the man said as he snapped a couple of photos. "Now, make for her kiss."

Lana's stomach flipped, and any words caught in her throat. Jack must have felt her discomfort because he said, "No, thank you. We're in public."

"No, no, no, it okay. Yalla, yalla, go make for her kiss."

This time Lana jumped in. "Oh, thanks, we're good." She started walking toward the man to grab her phone back, but he just held it in his hand, unfaltering.

"No, no, I okay. I not mind. Yalla, make kiss for camera," he said with his full smile still on display and obviously not getting the social cues from them.

Lana looked at Jack, who just shrugged again. She reasoned that she didn't want anyone to spit on her food, so okay, she'd give Jack a quick kiss on the cheek for the camera.

As soon as she gave him a little peck on the cheek, the man shook his head in disapproval. "No, not, not like this. Make it nice."

Before Lana could respond, Jack turned to her, and his lips crashed into hers. She stood there frozen for a beat, and then eased into it, kissing him back. The butterflies in her stomach were on high alert as he placed his hand on her cheek. His minty breath washed over her, and his musky cologne filled her nostrils. There was a hunger and urgency in his kiss, and she relished the softness of his lips on hers.