Dinner

"Burkes!" the kid smiled at them, opening June's front door to let them in. Peter jammed the pie El had made them do into his arms. "Peter. You baked."

"Pie," he said, glaring at the young con-man. "Bon appétit."

"Peter, Elizabeth." It was impossible to be angry when June's warm voice welcomed them "I'm so happy you could make it."

"Oh, it's our pleasure," El returned and June pulled her inside, hand in hand. Peter and Neal followed and in the living room he looked at the man that started this whole trouble.

"You must be Ford," he said, offering his hand to a man who looked at him with tense eyes.

"Peter. You're certainly not what I expected." The man's eyes went up and down like a scanner.

"Same here."

"Neal tells me that you pull team gags together." The con-man's wonderful way to tell lies by telling the truth.

"We do."

"He's a hell of an outside patsy," the kid said.

"Yeah..." Ford agreed, glaring at him with a grin. "He's got that look."

Ford moved towards the dinner table. Peter turned to Neal.

"Patsy?"

"It's a compliment," the kid was quick to say and joined the others at the table.

For the first time in his life, Peter ate dinner served by a maid. The food was delicious and Peter was not sure if he should complement the maid or June or both, not sure who had made it.

To his annoyance, he found no way to get information from Ford. He had a nagging feeling the man knew more about him than he knew about Ford.

After dinner there were drinks and Ford took a seat by the grand piano. The man could play, at least far better than Peter himself.

"June, please, join me," Ford requested. June was charmed. She rose from the sofa glass in hand and started to sing Frank Sinatra. It was a pleasure to listen to.

Soon though, her eyes fell on Neal. To Peter's utter surprise, the young man blushed!

When June held out her hand the kid rose and took it. He joined her in her song and both Peter and El were baffled. They glanced at each other. Neal Caffrey, the con-man and prison inmate, could sing. He really could sing.

Why had a man with a voice like that end up a criminal, Peter asked himself.

The song ended, and there was applause.

"Neal!" El said. "You never mentioned June had such a wonderful voice, and you, by the way."

"Ah, please," the kid shook it off.

"Ohh. You should see how she moves!" Ford said.

"Oh, please," June replied when Ford put his hand on her waist and took her hand for a dance. "Ford promised me a dance a long, long time ago." Ford danced with her.

"Well, if you need some company, let us know," El said and Peter felt a shiver through his body.

"'Us'?" the kid repeated. "Peter, you dance?"

"No."

"Ohh, he's terrific," El replied and continued, totally forgetting why they were there: "We took a salsa class last year... Smiled the whole entire time."

"Do you have any pictures of that?" Neal asked. "'Cause I'd love to show the guys at the office."

Peter made a polite laugh that he heard sounded much like a broken garbage trasher.