Setup

They walked up the stairs and into what more looked like a gallery than a photo studio. At least compared to the studios Peter had seen.

A woman who looked utterly bored where she sat by her desk was the closest to a receptionist he could see.

He showed her his badge.

"Hi. Peter Burke, FBI. Would you mind getting us Jason Lang?" he asked. She pointed with a finger into the room. Which only meant that he was somewhere in the big hall. "Thank you." Peter saw the kid make his own tour. He walked between pillars with abstract photos. Then he saw a man who looked like the mugshot. "Jason Lang?"

Lang arranged a woman in an armchair, with drapes behind her.

"Keep your chin down. Keep your eyes down," he said and raised the camera.

"FBI," Peter said, holding his badge in front on the lens. It barely caught Lang's attention. "We received information that your studio may be involved in the production of passport forgeries."

The man chuckled and returned to his camera.

"Who told you that?"

"Your record. You were convicted of forgery in the past."

"Well, that was 10 years ago, you know? Just take a look at my price list. I think you'll see that I really have no use for an illegal side business." He wanted to take another picture of the woman when his cell phone rang. "Oh, come on. Take a break," he told the model. "Will you excuse me?" he asked Peter without really caring for the reply.

"Certainly."

"This is Jason," he said and walked away. Peter took the opportunity to take a walk along the photographer's equipment and found Neal.

"I don't like this guy," Peter said. "What do you think?"

"Truesdale color-shifting printer."

"Hmm. That would be an important tool," he nodded, "in making color-shifting images in the U.S. passport."

"So would the Metrolux 5200," the kid said, nodding towards another machine. "Which is only used for one purpose."

"Making holographic images."

"Also found in U.S. passports. It's a nice cover." Neal studied a framed glass with something abstract holographic on it, or in it. "He integrates holograms into his artwork. Is this enough to bring him in?"

"It's enough for us to get a warrant," Peter assured him. He saw that Lang was back. "Hey. Lang, I need to talk to you about your equipment here." To his surprise, the man turned and left in a hurry. "Lang. Hey, Lang! I'll follow. Stay here."

"Okay," he heard as a reply before he jogged down the corridor following the running man.

"Lang?" he called out when he reached a garage of sorts. He swung the front door open and saw the man waiting in an open van. Then he heard and saw in the corner of his eye a gun raised to his head by someone waiting beside the door. "This was a setup."

"Drop your weapon and your cell and get in the van," Lang said as someone grabbed his gun and another plundered his pockets for his cellphone.

"Peter!" he heard Neal's voice. The kid came running down the sidewalk. Then it all turned black of a hood, and he was pulled and pushed inside the van.

"He integrates holograms into his artwork," Neal said and watch a piece of quite good art. It was really sad if this guy could not support himself on these. "Is this enough to bring him in?"