Get a cup of coffee

"Hey, Neal," Diana answered the phone. "If you're looking for Peter, he's not here."

"Yeah, I know," Neal replied with a sigh. "Diana, we got a problem. Keller and Lang worked out some kind of deal. Peter has been taken."

It was quiet in the other end. He could hear her taking a deep breath.

"Jones!" she called out into the office "Get Hughes in here!" Neal could not hear any smart remark, so the message probably came through. "Neal," Diana returned to him.

"I'm here."

"Tell me what happened."

Neal did. First, the actual kidnapping, then the background where they had visited Lang. And then his visit to Keller.

"I get things rolling. Get here as fast as you can," she said.

"That would be by cab."

"Fine." Diana ended the call.

Neal got a cab and was met by Diana who took him to Hughes' office right away. They walked across an office with plenty of people at intense work and more arriving.

"Diana said you visited Keller before you called her," Hughes barked without ceremonies.

"That's right, sir."

"Why?"

"Because Keller aimed at me. I... I thought it was a greater risk for Peter, not visiting Keller first."

Hughes snorted but did not say anything more. He left his office and faced the crew gathered.

"Listen up. One of our own's been kidnapped. Now, Graham, coordinate eastern and southern districts. Jones, I want you with Keller's transfer convoy. Campanelli, I want wiretaps within the next two hours, on every cell, home, prison, and business linked to Keller and Lang. Under no circumstances does anyone talk to the press. This is twenty-four-seven until we find him. All right, let's do it."

He returned to Neal and Diana.

"What did Keller tell you at the prison?"

"He wants two-and-a-half million dollars in exchange for Peter."

"Keller doesn't have Peter. Keller is behind bars."

"He's running this," Neal insisted. "He called me right when Lang drove away with him."

"ERT is analyzing the phone," Diana said. "We put out an APB on the van."

Hughes scratched his head.

"Why does Keller want that kind of money?" the senior agent asked and dropped down in his office chair. "He's doing 20 years!" No, under normal circumstances, no one would need that amount of money in prison.

"To pay off the Russian mob," Neal said, "so they don't kill him when he arrives at Barksdale."

"The FBI doesn't negotiate. Period." Hughes looked as firm as the words he said. "Particularly with someone who's already locked up and fearing for his life."

"Sir, with all due respect, Keller doesn't bluff. He will kill Peter if I don't engage him." Neal was not amused by the irony that he had come to the FBI to solve this, for his and Peter's sake, instead of doing a try to solve it on his own.

"The reason no one takes our men is because we make it clear all hell will rain down on them if they do."

Neal nodded. Peter had told him about this. The Bureau was firm on this.

"You also have to be willing to sacrifice a few of your agents to prove your point." And both Neal and Peter knew the stakes.

"This isn't a one-man con, Neal," Hughes said, almost kindly. "This is the U.S. government." Meaning, Hughes did not set the rules, but he agreed with them, Neal thought. He felt frustration growing. His colleagues were also humans, with their friend kidnapped. "We will catch Lang. And we will string Keller up by his thumbs until he cries for forgiveness."