Chapter 6

Mira had drifted off to sleep in Tajo's arms, and he was just sitting there, not knowing what to do with her. He didn't want to move and risk disturbing her, but she couldn't stay with him all night. And still, as she lay in his arms, he didn't want to let go. She was precious and fragile. And fascinating to him, to say the very least.

Tajo eventually slowly stood up, holding Mira closely in his arms as she slept. The sun was sinking beneath the horizon by now, and the daylight was nearly gone. He drifted over the ground, trying to remember where her village was. He hadn't memorised the route, and quite frankly, hadn't tried to.

Mira began to stir in his arms and Tajo stopped, looking down at her. Her eyes flickered slightly open and she glanced up at him briefly, before falling asleep once again. Tajo nearly let out a sigh of relief and continued on.

He remembered that Mira followed the river to return home and made his way over to it. Following it upstream, he eventually came across her family's farm, and he quickly recognized it. Tajo stopped in front of the fence, unsure of whether or not he should enter.

He gently nudged Mira, trying to wake her up. She didn't, and only clung more tightly to his shirt. With reluctance, Tajo stepped over the fence and onto the beaten farmland path. He felt uneasy crossing onto the land that was no longer his, and glanced around frantically to make sure that there were no people around.

He headed over to her bedroom window and, without touching it, unlocked it and opened it up. The wind blew in with him, the torn pieces of cloth blowing along with it. He leaned in and placed Mira in her bed before pulling the covers over her.

Tajo paused before he turned away, hesitation keeping him at the window. Mira was asleep, breathing softly into her pillows. She was safe, and Tajo could take comfort in that. So he closed the windows and left.