Chapter 17

12 Years Later.

Mira returned home when she received news that her father had passed away. As she rode into town in the carriage, looking out the window, she observed that almost nothing had changed. Even some of the same people walked along the streets, and she recognised some of the church staff from when she was a child. It filled her with some sense of nostalgia, looking around at the place she grew up in.

Her family was living in a smaller home than which they lived in before, and it was a lot closer to the town centre and the markets. Hayden and Oskar still lived with their mother, and meeting them once again for the first time in years was a shock for Mira. Hayden had grown a lot thinner, and his throat was scarred. He never spoke. Oskar had gone the opposite way. He'd gained a lot more weight and constantly smelled of alcohol and cigarettes, and was even short tempered at times.

Mira's mother hardly changed at all, apart from the greying of her hair starting to become more noticeable and the wrinkles around her eyes. Her smile was still the same, and she did her hair the same, and she even dressed the same. And she was still just as lively as Mira remembered when she returned home.

Mira sat down with her mother in the den and smiled, folding her hands on her lap. "I'm so happy to see you," she said. "I've so much to tell you."

"I cannot wait to hear all about it," her mother replied with a slight laugh as she placed her hands over Mira's. "What was Edinburgh like?"

"Oh, it was so beautiful. You should have seen how big the buildings are there... and the trains! Have you ever seen a train, Mother? They're so incredible and strange." She held a wide and bright smile as she spoke passionately. "I got to stay in such a nice room there, you know. And the food was so amazing as well. There were all sorts of different people around, from all sorts of different places. You should have seen it."

"You sound like you really enjoyed it."

Mira looked down with a slight smile and shrugged. "I suppose. I missed all of you, of course." She ran her hands along the red cloak wrapped around her and through the embroidery that had remained completely strong over the years. "I'm happy to be back, honestly. I wish I could have seen my father before he passed on, though."

Her mother tilted her head slightly. "I understand. But I promise, he's looking down on us now, as we speak. I bet he's happy that you're home as well."

"I hope so."

She placed her hand on Mira's cheek. "I can guarantee it."

Mira gently held her mother's hand in hers and glanced towards the door that led out into the corridor. "How have Hayden and Oskar been?" she asked, changing the subject.

Her mother sighed. "Not as great as I'd like them to be, but managing to get by."

"Why is it that I haven't heard Hayden speak since I've been here? He hasn't said a word to me."

"Or anyone," her mother said. "After... what happened... he hasn't been able to speak."

Mira glanced back at her mother. "What? Really?"

She nodded. "Yes. We took him to the village doctor and there was nothing they could do to restore his speech. He's been mute ever since you left."

A heavy lump of guilt sank into Mira's stomach. "Oh. I see."

"There's nothing to worry about," she reassured. "It's not your fault, dear."

The memories of that day started to slip back into Mira's mind and she shook them away. "Yeah, alright," she said quietly.

Her mother looked towards the window and pulled a lock of hair out of her face. "You know, I used to have a friend who helped me with plant medicine. It was long before I met your father, long before I had you and your brothers."

Mira looked up, listening with curiosity.

"She was smart, charismatic, and so many men were interested in her. We worked together, and despite some of the criticisms, we kept moving forwards. And for a long time, it was great. But there was one day when she decided to do something unspeakable." She folded her hands in her lap and sighed quietly. "One night, she snuck out into the woods while I was asleep. She spoke to some... monster. Some creature. A demon. And she made some sort of a deal with it. Of course it wasn't long before I and some of the other villagers found out. The evidence was incontrovertible. So they tied her up, and she was executed as a witch."

Mira's eyes widened. "I... I'm so sorry, Mother."

She shook her head. "There's no need to be. That was her choice, and that was the price she paid. But it almost didn't stop at her. The others eyed me as well, and the only way to avoid facing the same fate was to commit myself to the church and to find a husband. Which I did, and I'm grateful that I made that choice." She paused, turning to glance at Mira. "But her death has never left me, and when I had you, Mira, I always feared that you might meet the same fate. I've always tried to keep you safe, but I never wanted you to be trapped within your own home. I believe that you should be allowed to explore whatever it is that you want, but unfortunately, there are some who might've misinterpreted your activities. I'm just happy that you received a second chance, rather than dying as a child."

Mira slowly leaned over and wrapped her arms around her mother, pulling her into an embrace. "Nothing's going to happen to me, Mother. And thank you for trusting me so much."

Her mother slowly wrapped her arms around her in return. "Of course, my dear. Of course." After a moment, they let go of one another and Mira's mother adjusted her sweater. "Your father's funeral is tomorrow. Priest Marquett and the sisters from the church will be there."

"Right, of course."

"Anyway, I'm sure you're tired from your journey. You should get some rest, dear." She looked over towards the door and called out, "Hayden! Come and show your sister to her room!"

Hayden popped his head into the room, with a very nondescript expression, before looking at Mira and waving for her to follow him. She glanced at her mother and offered a quick smile before heading out of the room and following Hayden out into the corridor. He picked up her bags, which had been left out there, and started heading up the stairs. Mira walked up behind him, looking around at the house. It seemed smaller than the house that she lived in before, but she thought that maybe she saw it that way because she wasn't a child anymore. It was definitely newer, and the wallpaper was still vibrant in colour.

Hayden stopped in front of a closed door and set her bags on the ground. He pushed the door open and held out his hand, as if to say "Here you are."

Mira nodded and he turned to leave, but she quickly held up her hand. "Wait a minute, Hayden."

He stopped and turned to look at her expectantly.

She swallowed and pointed towards her throat and then his. "Does it... does it still hurt?"

He shook his head.

Mira lowered her hand. "Ay, I thought so. And... I'm sorry about that. About what happened."

Hayden stared at her for another moment before shaking his head and heading back downstairs, leaving Mira alone in the hallway. With a sigh, she pulled her stuff into the room and closed it before taking a seat on the cold, untouched bed. She tugged the window open slightly to let in a slight breeze before changing out of her clothes and into a nightdress.

As she laid down, she turned her gaze out the window and looked at the town, lights from the windows shining in the darkness. In the old house, in her old bedroom, her view was just of the farm and the woods. Edinburgh wasn't so close to the woods, so she couldn't even see it from where she'd been staying. Part of her was grateful to be home, but something just felt off. Without thinking about it too much though, she drifted off to sleep.