Chapter 5:

Having CF has taught me a few things.

1, I'll always depend on my nurses to take care of me. And 2, uncovering a way to stay optimistic through all this was gonna be a pain in the ass.

Nevertheless, I found my blog a great way to stay calm. I vlog everything. My medication hours, my walks to the baby ward, my drama with Miles and MJ and most of all, my thoughts.

Sitting in a hospital bed has led me to think nonstop.

What if there was a way to fix me? No.

What if I was just like any other kid without CF? Never gonna happen.

But it could..... I could get new lungs? I could get better. I could. I know I could.

As my head lay on my pillow, I closed my eyes and visualized a life like that.

My reflections went to Peter next. Encountering him on the rooftop, his curls flowing in the wind and the understanding he was not frightened. I recollect his face. It's a face somebody couldn't overlook.

I wondered if I went to the roof tonight, would he be there? Would he speak to me again?

I wished so.

I recall Tanya speaking to me about getting tied to things we shouldn't. Believing people are what they seem even though they could harm us. But the only people who can truly hurt us, are the people we trust.

It's not like I want him to marry me. I just-want to be his friend. I want another friend who understands. Sure I've got Miles and Mj but they know almost everything about me. I want to get to know other people. And if I can't get to know regular people outside the hospital, then I'll have to make friends here.

I smiled to myself thinking about him again. Screw it.

I sat up quickly and slipped my shoes on. My mask came over my face and I let my small oxygen tank rest clipped on my hip.

I snatched my coat too. Tanya informed me that the weather has been relatively cold. Chilly means bleak hands and cold means snow.

Shutting the door behind me, I tip-toed past the desk where a lady named Maranda typed away. I beamed to myself once I surpassed the elevator. I adored sneaking away. A few minutes of freedom remind me just how endearing my life is. The roof is the only place I can truly breathe the world outside.

The elevator chimed and I crinkled up my face at the sudden cold air. "Tanya wasn't kidding then," I thought.

My hands squeezed together almost like an intuition and I caressed them to warm up. I strolled slowly forward until I halted feeling and taking notice of a slight crunch sound under my boots. I looked down. A White, soft pillow of snow coated the roof floor.

I smiled as I gently kicked the snow with my shoe and stepped forward again, the pleasing crunch making me comfortable.

Once I arrived at the ledge, my hand brushed the icy wall. I shuddered but relaxed my hands comfortably.

Sighing, I perked up again. The city below was just as beautiful as the night before, maybe even more so since the snow made it look like a wonderland.

I shut my eyes and calmed in the chilly night air. This was living.

My eyes shot open when a familiar ding of the elevator ensued. I spun around silently hoping it wasn't Tanya ready to catch me running away again. My eyes blinked as the door opened showing, Peter.

I silently let out a sigh of solace as he caught my gaze. His smile broadened and he virtually jogged over to my side. I eyed them as he took four steps to the side and impersonated my hands that relaxed back on the wall.