~Better with you~

!Anya and Damien are in their last year of school in the story!

Anya didn't expect the wave of loneliness as she stood alone in a sea of couples. The school dance was meant to be something fun and relaxing... but with Becky in hospital, Anya was completely out of her depth. The lights blared into her face and the music thumping against her skull made her head spin, she staggered across the dance floor, unable to think. Her head was full of other people's thoughts: she could hear the couple making out behind her, the girl who just got dumped, the boy who lost his wallet... their unspoken words were screaming at her and she couldn't take anymore of it.

Her legs gave way and she saw her vision fade away as she hit the ground. Blood pounded in her head so loudly that it drowned out the music and the last thing she felt before passing out completely was a pair of arms scooping her up from the ground.

***

Anya's eyes fluttered open. She blinked out a few tears and forced her eyes to focus on the scene infront of her.

"I must be... in the cleaning closet?" The dazed girl mumbled. She felt a hand cover her mouth and she squeaked in surprise. A voice whispered in her ear.

"Shut up, we aren't meant to be in here. What the hell were you doing on the floor?" The voice hissed.

Anya's eyes widened. Why of all people did it have to be Damian Desmond who found her unconscious and clueless in the middle of a party... Her face flushed with embarrassment as he pulled his hand away from her face. She turned around and saw that they were, literally, inside of the cleaning supplies closet that was strictly off limits to students. Damian sighed.

"Did you hit your head or something? You were just laying there passed out. Wait, WERE YOU DRINKING OR SOMETHI-" he immediately stopped shouting and put his ear to the door. The sound of footsteps, followed by keys jingling. Oh no... that's never good. One click of the lock followed by the expression on Damian's face said it all. They were locked in. A few silent moments passed, the room was full of pure shock.

"Well." Damian sat down on the floor. "At least it's roomy in here. Actually, it's a pretty nice place to spend the rest of the night."

Anya was dumbstruck. They were sure to get expelled if they got caught, the second that the cleaner opens the door tomorrow and sees them, they're done for. The girl began to pace around Damian, who had sat right in the middle of the floor.

"Oh no... oh god no... there's no signal..." she pressed frantically at every button she could find on her phone but it was no use. There was no signal or any method of contacting anyone outside the closet. It was just them.

"Um, Anya? Can I ask you something?" Damian leaned back onto the floor and stretched out. "Why were you laying in the middle of the dance floor?"

Anya rolled her eyes. "I passed out dummy, what did you expect? And no, I wasn't drinking, shut up." She sat down on the floor and leaned against the wall of cardboard boxes. "I would complain about the fact that you got us stuck in here but you did kind of save me back there... so I guess this makes us sort of even."

Damian laughed. "Maybe it's not as bad as you think. I mean, someone will get us out eventually, right?"

"Are you out of your mind?! I'll get expelled as soon as I'm caught! Maybe you'll be fine... until the rumours start spreading. They'll be worse than getting expelled!" Anya pouted. Damian looked horrified. The rumours spread around that school like wildfire and he couldn't risk damaging his pristine reputation.

"Alright, I agree. We need to get out." His face was suddenly deadly serious. "I need a hairpin."

"Wha-" Anya couldn't even reply before he reached into her ponytail and pulled out a bobby pin. The boy scooted over to the door and began to rapidly mutilate the clip and shove it into the lock, hoping to release them from their prison. 4 pins later, they still had no luck.

"UGHHH!" Damian stomped on their last pin. There was really no way of getting out. Anya let out a defeated sigh.

"If only we had Becky right now, she stole the spare key to this place months ago." As soon as Becky crossed her mind, Anya began to cry.

"Huh? Wha- what's wrong?!" Damian panicked. Anya sniffed and tried to hide her tears but the boy was already  freaking out. She decided to let out everything that had been on her mind.

"E-even if I h-hadn't passed out, I would have b-been all alone! Becky isn't h-here, nobody asked me to go with them and now I'm gone and nobody will even notice me! I bet people are all s-searching for you in there! Am I really that unlovable?!" Anya bawled, no longer caring about the boy watching her or their history. Damian crouched down next to her and put a shaky hand on her shoulder.

"I don't think you're unlovable." He hesitantly moved closer to her.

Anya sniffed. "Really? I didn't expect that from you of all people." Damian winced slightly at her words but he knew where she was coming from. He'd never been the nicest to her... god he wished he could take it all back.

"Look, I know we haven't got on the best before but if there is anything I can do to make you feel better..." His voice trailed off. "I have an idea." Damian smiled and took her hand, pulling her to her feet. The echos of the music coming from the party next door pounded through the walls of the closet, the words were loud enough to be mostly audible and after a bit of convincing, Anya started to sway to them.

!Part 2 coming soon!