~Never would have guessed~

Anya blinked at the sun as it beamed down upon the grounds of Eden Academy. It must have been the hottest day they'd had in years, every student was inside cowering from the heat and slathering sun-cream everywhere that wasn't covered by their sweat-soaked uniforms.

Anya yawned, the heat made her want to nod off but the throbbing in her head kept the young girl awake. Her mind was full of the sound of other people's complaining, all that anyone was thinking about was how awful the heat was and how much they wished they could go home. Leaning against a window sill in her biology class, she took care not to touch the scorching glass as she watched the clock tick away up on the North wall, idly waiting for the bell to ring. Soon enough, the shrieking ringing pierced its way through the halls and was followed by a series of groans and curses. All 2500 of Eden Academy's students trudged reluctantly through the halls like a pack of zombies, slowed by the heat. Although the hall was silent, everyone's minds were everything but that.

"Ughhh, this heat is gonna drive me insane..."

"Surely this counts as extreme weather, we should all be at home right now..."

"I'm totally gonna make a run for it..."

"I think I'm gonna faint..."

"This is so damn tireing..."

"If only we could go home-

"WILL ALL OF YEW JUST SHUT UP COMPWAINING!" Anya's yell echoed down the halls and every head in the building turned to face her. In an embarrassed panic, she turned around and bolted to the bathroom, her face turning red and dripping with sweat on the way. She slammed the door shut behind her and sat panting on the cold floor. Her head had finally stopped throbbing and she sighed, finally able to hear silence for the first time in hours. That was, until, she heard banging on the door.

"Oi, open up commoner, I know you're in there!" An angry voice shouted through the door, followed by a serious of thuds and wacks against the door. Anya pouted and refused to budge from the door.

"Ya know you can't come in the ladies room Damian, you weirdo!"

"Hey, don't you call me a weirdo after what you pulled back there! Nobody was even talking so why the hell did you go yelling about complaining or whatever? You're so damn annoying!"

"Geez, no need to be a potty-mouth! It's none of your business how I knew what everyone was thinking!"

"What the- I NEVER EVEN ASKED HOW YOU KNEW!"

"Oh yeah? So you don't wanna know?"

"I DIDNT SAY THAT YOU- WAA!" With a grand wail, Damian fell through thin air and crashed into the ground, Anya stood behind the door with her foot stuck out, giggling. Damian kicked her in the ankle as he got back up and stared her down.

"What do you want Damian? You're gonna get detention for being late to class you know."

"How did you know?"

"What?"

"You said you knew what everyone was thinking. How did you know?"

Anya fidgeted a little and pulled at her hair, unsure of what to say. Damian was clearly dead-set on getting an answer or he wouldn't be risking getting detention just to interrogate her. She was conflicted; it was an  overwhelming secret to keep, but it was also an overwhelming secret to share. Anya knew that she couldn't blindly trust Damian with something so important.

"It was my intuwtion." Anya declared. "It's a hot day and everyone looked sad, so I figured I'd say something to... motivate people. Yeah! To motivate people!" Despite the enthusiasm that Anya put in to her lie, Damian just didn't seem convinced. He merely nodded slowly and muttered to himself as he walked away, leaving Anya sweating on the spot from something a lot more intimidating than some heat. That was far too close for comfort in the young Forger's opinion...

***

"Damn that commoner, I'm late for class and she couldn't couldn't give me a true answer." Damian thought to himself as he sulked through empty corridors. "Snap out of it Desmond, its not like the stupid girl has superpowers or anything..."

Anya couldn't help but giggle from the next corridor along at how wrong that particular thought happened to be.