Chapter-13

"I apologize for canceling plans at the last minute" Heeseung served pasta on two plates and slid one across the table towards the younger. "Something came up"

Jake shook his head. "No no, it's okay. I was just worried because you didn't answer my calls for three days"

Heeseung's smile faltered. "I'm sorry"

"Are you okay?" Jake asked worriedly. They have been sitting here in the restaurant for around fifteen minutes and Heeseung hasn't really said anything other than sorry and the usual greetings. He seemed to be out of it and wasn't acting like his usual self, which worried Jake.

Heeseung nodded. "I'm fine. Don't worry"

They sat in awkward silence, eating. Jake didn't really know how to strike a conversation at this point because Heeseung refused to speak for some reason.

"Um," Jake picked up the napkin and wiped his lips with the white cloth. "Would you like some cake?"

Heeseung nodded. "Sounds good"

The waiter came over and took their orders, one cheesecake for Jake and a chocolate truffle for the older.

"Can I talk to you about something?" Heeseung finally spoke up.

Jake swallowed the cake bite and nodded, encouraging Heeseung to go on.

"I ran into my ex that day." He spoke. "I should not have let him ruin my day with just his appearance and I'm sorry for practically ghosting you for three days."

Jake took five seconds to understand the situation and when he did, he stroked Heeseung's hand with his thumb and smiled at him. "It's alright."

Heeseung shook his head. "No, it's not just this" He looked into Jake's eyes and said, "I like you. Will you be my boyfriend?"

Jake was too stunned to speak. He didn't know how to react but before he could start hyperventilating, Heeseung spoke again.

"I wanted to tell you this that day after our date," he said.

Jake sighed. "Really?"

"Yeah, I really like you. You are amazing Jake and I think you deserve someone better than me"

"Don't say this. You are a nice guy Heeseung" Jake reassured him.

"I'm not sure" Heeseung chuckled. "As much as I want you to be mine, I don't think I'm ready. I feel that I still haven't forgotten my past"

Jake saw Heeseung's eyes well up and his heart broke. "Heeseung.."

The older shook his head. "I think it's best that I heal myself first. I need to get rid of these old feelings that I thought had died long back"

"It's been years and even though he did me badly, I really loved him. I opened up my heart to him and what did he do? Stomp on it and throw it away in the trash can" Heeseung wiped a tear that had managed to escape his eye and had rolled down his cheek.

"What's pathetic is that I still love him even after he broke me. I know I sound stupid but when I saw him, my mind went back to the old days and a big part of me wanted to relive it."

Jake didn't do anything. He didn't say anything. He sat there listening. He was always the listener whenever Sunghoon came back home drunk after getting dumped. It was Jay who was in charge of calming him down and advising him on what to do next. Jake doesn't really know what to do or say except to listen silently.

"I'm sorry Jake but I think it would be better if we stay as friends for the time being. I need time to heal myself and move on properly before I fall for someone. I'm really sorry"

Heeseung was crying at this point. Jake's heart hurt for him and it was frustrating to him that he couldn't do anything for the older.

"Heeseung it's really okay. It's fine." He smiled at him. "I'm proud of you for facing your ex with a brave face"

Heeseung gave him a soft look before wiping his nose on the tissue, making Jake laugh.

"You are cute" Jake blurted out. "And I'll always be here for you. As a friend of course"

Heeseung giggled. "Thanks, Jake"

.....

Jake drove back to the hospital and during the entire drive, his mind kept thinking about what Heeseung had told him. He was happy that the older had realized what he wanted and was willing to work on it. Wasn't he in the same situation himself? He also has a guy in his heart but instead of forgetting him like Heeseung, Jake needs to confirm his feelings towards him.

It's been quite a few years since he developed a crush on his best friend but was that crush still there? He knows the answer but he was reluctant to speak it out loud. Sunghoon broke up with his boyfriend recently and what if Jake confesses and he says yes just because he is lonely and wants to move on?

He knows that Sunghoon isn't like this but what if Jake gives him his heart and then the latter breaks it because he realized they were better off as friends? What if he ends up in the same situation as Heeseung?

Jake is a sensitive person and he is a hundred percent sure that if Sunghoon breaks his heart, he would never be the same. Despite them being a bit too close these days, he still isn't sure if the latter reciprocates his feelings or not.

"Excuse me?" A soft voice called out to Jake who was snapped out of his thoughts. "Can you help me find room no. 309?"

Jake looked beyond his computer screen and saw a short guy with blonde hair and a cute face. He reminded him of someone when it struck him.

"Kim Sunoo?" His eyes widened when he realized it was Sunghoon's ex in front of him. "What are you doing here?"

____________________________________

Thanks for 700 reads besties!