Family that I chose

Taylor's POV

"But what if they don't like me?", I ask Joe, anxiously. We're going to meet his parents and I'm a nervous wreck. I mean, why would anyone want their son to date me? Let's be honest, I'm a mess. And right now, everyone hates me, so I wouldn't be surprised if his parents did too. Joe and I already had this conversations a thousand times and he assured me that his parents don't care about celebrity stuff and that his brother really likes my music, but I can't help but let my anxieties get the best of me.

"I've already told you this a million times, Taylor! They'll love you", he says firmly yet softly to me.

"How are you so sure of that?", I ask.

"Because I love you", he says and grins at me and I blush at his cheesiness. 

"I love you too", I smile and grab his hand.

-----------

My heart is racing faster than a race horse and my palm is sweating when we ring  the doorbell and a lovely brunette answers the door.

"Hi, mom!", Joe says, but she completly ignores him.

"Oh, my! You must be Joe's girlfriend! You're even more beautiful than he described!", she says happily and hugs me, which I appreciate since I'm a huger too, and I already feel so confortable around her.

"Hey, I'm Taylor! It's so nice to meet you Mrs. Alwyn! Joe has told me a lot of good things about you.", I say smiling. 

"Oh, darling, you can call me Elizabeth!"

Joe clears his throat, "Excuse me, ladies. I'm here too!", he says, fake pouting, and Elizabeth and I roll our eyes.

"Oh please, don't be such a baby, Joe", I scoff. 

"What a horrible host am I. Come in!", she says and when we are inside, she actually acknowledges her son's presence and gives him a hug while I start taking off my coat. Joe helps me to finish taking it off and wraps his arms around my weist again. 

We all go further into the house, which is beautiful and considerably big, and it smells like normalcy to me, something I really appreciate but I'm also scared of because of the lack of it in my life. 

"You must be Taylor, Joe's girlfriend! I'm Richard. It's a pleasure to meet you", Joe's dad says as he approaches us and takes my hand in a firm handshake.

"Yes, that's me. And the pleasure is all mine.", I answer.

"Taylor, darling. Dinner should take a little while longer... Why don't you and Joe go visit the park?", Elizabeth asks and my heart skips a beat and I quickly look at Joe, who has the same expression on his face.

"Um... I- I can't", I say and my lips tremble.

"What do you mean? Of course you can. It's a beautiful park and it's just around the corner.", Elizabeth says with a confused smile on her face.

"No, I actually can't.", I say quietly and stare helplessly at Joe.

"Um... Why don't I give you a tour around the house?", Joe suggests, seeing how uncorfatable I am and shots a quick look at Elizabeth telling her to drop the subject. 

As Joe walks out of the room with me, I can't help but notice Elizabeth and Richard exchanging confused looks. God, I already screwed this up. Good job, Taylor.

While I'm spiralling and mentally beating myself up, a teenage boy walks down the stairs looking at his phone, but then he looks up...

"Holy shit!", he says with his eyes widened staring intentially at me. I knew this was gonna happen, but I was kinda hoping I could at least give a good impression to Joe's family first.