xii.

Damon and Luna successfully found Elena by one of the stands

Damon and Luna successfully found Elena by one of the stands. On the way, Damon had explained exactly who Caroline was and Luna immediately recognised her as one of the friends that Elena used to bring around whenever the Grove girl babysat her. She had also managed to recognise Bonnie. Of course it was better to recognise her later than never. All the teenagers changed so much since the last time Luna saw them.

"Elena."

"What do you want, Damon?" At the sight of him, Elena didn't seem pleased at all. In fact, she looked like she wanted to run away and never have to speak to him again but the alarmed look on his face alerted the poor girl and she felt like she had to listen to what he was going to say.

"I know I'm the last person you wanna see, but I need you to come with me." He vaguely stated. Elena sighed dramatically and looked at him with raised brows.

"Whatever it is, I'm not interested." The brunette decided firmly, obviously not wanting anything to do with the man that killed her brother just the night before.

"If you asked me like that I wouldn't agree either."

"I need you to come with me right now, Elena." Damon repeated himself, emphasising almost each word. This made the Gilbert girl think over her decision before nodding and following after Damon quickly.

Damon and Elena met up with the other Salvatore brother in an empty classroom. Luna sat down in one of the empty desks and just listened intently to what they were all saying. She didn't make a single comment about the situation which made Damon confused when he was expecting a comment but just saw Luna with her lips slightly parted and her tongue pressed to her top lip as she concentrated on what the 3 had to say. After the initial explanation, Damon began coming up with a plan on how to kill Caroline. This set off a trigger in Luna's brain and she began wondering about what could happen if she came back to life.

The witches on the other side told her if she died again, there would be no way for her to return this time. She was worried about what Damon was gonna be like in the future and how long it would take her to come back to the world of living. And when, or if she even did, she'd have to stick with Damon either way, since she'd be indebted to him with her life. But what if she said something wrong or did something wrong? Or if he was in a mood and she breathed too loud in his direction? He could kill her again and this time she would stay dead. Alone. On the other side. It made her worried about everything and Damon could almost see the worry written on her forehead. But he didn't question her. Maybe if he cared he would've, but they weren't alone either and Damon refused to let anyone meet Luna just yet.

Damon continued trying to convince Stefan and Elena about killing Caroline, mocking them and making continuous jokes about Vicky Donovan and how history repeats itself. This made Luna feel sick to the stomach. If he could speak so easily about the deaths of all these people, then what could happen to Luna?

After a while of debating, Stefan and Elena left the room which allowed Damon to ask Luna on her views on the situation. Their chat was quick and led to nowhere since Luna just kept giving one word answers and then kept her mouth shut. Damon shrugged it off and left the room, making sure she was following behind him first. He creeped out of the classroom with long strides and made his way outside to find Caroline. On the way, he managed to find a wooden stake dug into the ground to hold up a tent.

"No way you took it from the ground, that has dirt on it. So unhygienic." Luna slowly began going back to her normal self and commenting on anything she could. The corner of Damon's lips perked up slightly at the realisation that she was talking normally again and he managed to take it as a sign to go along with his murder plan as soon as he was able to find the newly turned vampire.

"He's dead. I killed him." Caroline exasperated as soon as Damon came into her line of view. Luna wasn't able to help herself in that moment, despite the awful situation at hand.

"Really, I thought the tent strangled him. God that's such a bad time I'm gonna shut up."

"What's wrong with me?" The girl's breath began shortening as her chest heaved and sobs escaped through her mouth.

"Hey. Hey, it's okay. I can help you." Damon comforted the girl easily and their prior quarrel seemed to be forgotten and now she wanted to be able to rely on him and allow him to help her.

"You can?" The hope in her voice was hard to miss. Luna felt so bad about what was about to happen, the wooden stake clutched in Damon's hand behind his back. Luna couldn't bare to look, her hand brought up to her mouth as she continued listening.

"Yeah. I have to." The man's smile was so comforting and yet so menacing. It terrified and amazed Luna at once but it still made her feel awful about how easily Damon was manipulating and lying to the poor blonde.

"What are you going to do?" Caroline questioned, eyes glimmering with a new found hope and determination to seek help from her former abuser.

"The only thing I can do." He started off, putting a strand of Caroline's blonde hair behind her ear and revealing the stake clutched in his hand. "I'm going to kill you."

"Please don't. I don't want to die." She sobbed again, now standing. Luna didn't even realise when they got to this point, but Caroline had been begging Damon to let her live but he was mocking her and playing with her mind continuously. After a few minutes he pretended to drop the idea and pulled the girl in for a hug tightening his hold on her before raising his arm to stab the girl.

"There's no way you're actually going to kill her! I can't watch this, oh my god." Luna had to cover her eyes with her hands and turned away to the side to not see what was about to happen. Luna heard a gasp and thought Damon had gone through with his plan and her unbeating heart seemed to skip over a beat that didn't even exist. But she brought her attention back to the commotion when she heard Damon grunt his brothers name in disappointment.

Caroline took one look at Elena and scrambled back, screaming at Elena for supposedly killing her. Caroline's voice broke with every sentence she screamed, trying her hardest to control herself and not break down in that moment. Stefan grabbed onto her hand and began pulling her away as Luna decided she had enough and silently stalked off without Damon realising she had left.