viii.

Luna followed after Mason, who seemed to be exploring the massive house

Luna followed after Mason, who seemed to be exploring the massive house. She was gladly admiring the old artefacts and family heirlooms, as did Mason. So far, she's been following him for about fifteen minutes and the most interesting thing he's done was to stop and let his eyes scour over a rather disturbing painting that was perched up by a table in one of the seemingly abandoned hallways. It almost seemed odd that this was the closest corridor to the main entrance and yet it was also the most deserted. Well, excluding Mason and of course Luna. Much to Luna's dismay, Mason kept glancing behind himself, allowing his eyes to wander over the floors and walls for any cracks, though it seemed more like he kept glancing at the ghost girl as if he was actually able to see her. At one point during those fifteen minutes, she was tempted to simply shout at him, almost to see if he had any kind of reaction to her. She wasn't sure if he was clairvoyant or anything, but she didn't think so. But at the same time, she knew basically nothing about the man, so she couldn't exactly cross that off the list.

Now, of course, nothing interesting has happened since Luna had started following Mason. But it seemed that it was about to get interesting when he had encountered two teenagers who were drinking from a flask and talking. One, Luna immediately recognised as Jeremy Gilbert, Elena's little brother. The other teenager, Luna had recognised a few seconds later, as Tyler Lockwood. The son of the now-deceased mayor. Of course, she had felt bad for him, the boy had just lost his dad. If Luna had lost her mother whilst she was still alive, she would probably be absolutely devastated.

Come to think of it... What did happen to Luna's mother? She was nowhere to be found in the time she spent in Mystic Falls so far, so where was she? There was a possibility that Marisa was visiting Luna's grandparents or maybe even staying with them? The ghost girl made a mental note to talk to Damon and maybe have him ask around since she wasn't exactly able to do so herself. But she liked to hope that Marisa was perfectly ok and that she was only out of town due to the fact that Luna had passed.

Either way, Mason had clearly interrupted some kind of deep conversation between Jeremy and Tyler, since they both seemed like deers caught in headlights.

"You got somewhere else to be?" His tone almost screamed dominance, as if he was trying to prove he was some kind of alpha male. This made Luna roll her eyes with a dramatic sigh, as she decided to drop onto the couch by the Lockwood teenager. He rubbed at his arms, almost as if he was trying to get rid of the goosebumps rising on his skin. Obviously, the blame had been shifted to the open door only a few metres away from them all, leading directly to the outside.

Jeremy, who was holding the flask, opened his mouth to speak and allowed an incoherent grunt to slip past his lips, before handing the flask back to Mason and silently excused himself with his cheeks a burning shade of pink that reached the tip of his ears. Once he left, the awkward silence seemed to continue, though the older Lockwood decided to sit in the same place the Gilbert boy had been sitting in just a few seconds prior. Tyler was obviously worried and had no idea whether or not he should try to escape the situation or await punishment. He chose the latter.

Good choice.

Mason took a gulp of alcohol from the flask and had immediately passed it over to his nephew, who took it very hesitantly, wondering whether this was a test or not. When Mason had only smiled softly in approval, Tyler took a swing and they had continued this cycle in silence. Luna, who was quite confused at the encounter, decided to now leave and meet Damon to tell him that she hadn't exactly found anything out, but the problem now was with finding Damon.

But she could worry about that in the near future.