Chapter Six

It was yet to be another cold day. Grey clouds, covering the sky, huge snowflakes falling down to the ground. My hand lifts up, only for the fluffy, cold snowflakes to lay on the skin of my palm, and melt from the warmth of my body immediately.

  The sun rising up the horizon, slowly lit up the courtyard. With prisoners already leaving their cells, and the guards yelling, jostling them around, I'm carefully observing the view in front of me.

Metal chains on their legs, torn up shoes, wearing dark blue combinezones. You could tell from their exhausted faces how tired they were.

I quickly fix my posture, as I hear the metal door behind me to the left creak. A tall figure walked out when it opened. I couldn't just tell who he was, looking at his back as he walks down the stairs, but I could clearly see his grey hair standing out from under his hat.

   With his whole body slightly bouncing up and down, he moved towards the prisoners, stood up in line, one by one for a daily check-up.

  After giving the prisoners a speech, for several minutes, the man finally disappears, all of the prisoners following by.

   My morning went totally boring. Doing nothing, but standing, watching pieces of snow fall out from the sky. With nobody, but a few more guards, walking past the courtyard from time to time, it was quiet and peaceful here.

After a few hours, when the clock finally reached the noon, and a loud bell rang, alarming us about a break, I take a deep sigh.

Finally.

It only took like twenty minutes for another guard to show up.

  I would say he's quite young. Without a single wrinkle on his face, and a perfect skin. His thick eyebrows standing out from far away, just like his dark colored, almond shaped eyes. A strand of dark hair falling out of his hat made him appear even more attractive.

   Walking up towards me, he approaches me with a smile on his face.

[In Russian]

- You're late, Golubev,- I say, slowly walking down the metal stairs.

- Miss Fedorova, please accept my apologies,- he answers, with obvious sarcasm filling his voice. His eyes looking down to me, making eye contact.

- Do you have what I asked for?- I roll my eyes, reaching out my palm.

- I haven't seen Antonov since the morning, go and get it yourself,- he raises his shoulders, making a silly face and continuing to walk past me.

- Douchebag,- I mutter, fixing my uniform,- have a bad shift!- I turn around and shout to him, receiving a kind gesture of flipping off.

The sound of my shoes stomping the snow, leaving footprints behind me, wasn't the only thing I was hearing.

Shouts in the distance, behind the walls were getting louder and louder, as I got closer to the gates in the matter of seconds. Walking through the gates, I can finally see it.

Three prisoners fighting, all on top of each other, and soldiers laughing, pointing with their fingers, like they were getting some kind of show.

It wasn't long for me to reach them, because of the food stalls standing close to the camp. I wasn't planning on doing anything about the fight, so I just walked towards the nearest food stall.

I'm able to take a quick look at the food in the hands of other guards. Aluminum bowls, with a non-appetizing content inside.

Can life possibly be any better?.

- What would you like to have, pretty lady?- a low voice spoke.

And of course he has to be the one giving out the food. I lift my head, facing the annoying guard that my fate is clearly trying my patience with. That huge, cocky smile on his face has gotten under my nerves for too many times.

- What's the best thing you have on the menu?- I look down to the table, with a huge, dirty looking pot with a porridge, I suppose, and a bag of bread, lying next to it.

- Well, we have this delicious, appetizing potato soup with meatballs...And that's it,- he grabs an aluminum bowl and a spoon from behind, and turns around to look at me,- you want?

- I would argue if that's even eatable,- I look at the porridge looking thing inside the pot with a disgusting look on my face.

- Made it myself,- he gives me a proud look and begins to pour the soup into the bowl,- I also put in some poison, just for you. Consider it special.

- I think I'd rather starve now,- I scoff, taking the bowl with the food and a spoon from his hands,- why are we eating the same food as them anyways?- I say, looking at the still hopelessly fighting prisoners.

- Communism baby, we're all prisoners in some way here,- he winks,- now eat before it gets cold. Or don't, I don't care,- he adds, pouring another portion of soup into a bowl, for himself, I suppose, since there was no one nearby the wooden stall, except us.

  I look around for a bench to sit, but all of them were taken of either prisoners or guards sitting.
I guess I'll just eat while standing.

It took me about a good 5 minutes to force myself into eating that thing. I kept the bread for the last, since it was the only thing that I thought I'll enjoy eating. But the soup wasn't that bad. I wouldn't be mad if someone offered me a second bowl of it.

  After my bowl was empty, which took me like forever to finish, I walked over the stall, and put in on the table with all other dirty bowls.

  And within that, the bell rang again, telling everyone that the lunch break is over, and so the prisoners were forced to go back to work.

  - Watch where you're going,- I demand, when a prisoner walking by, accidentally pushed me with his shoulder. As he turns around to say sorry, I immediately recognize him.

  He's the guy from the picture.

   Only that he doesn't have his long hair anymore, his head and mustache shaved, he looked identical. It just has to be him.

    Hii, I'm sorry if I disappointed you with this chapter, but I will pay it off, I promise😻