4. "Spitfire, you copy?"

"I had no idea you could play like that Rooster, you've changed since I last saw you for sure" Phoenix said to the boy Emilia became slightly enamoured with a few hours earlier.

"what can i say? I've had a lot of time on my hands recently" The boy says back, with some strong attitude in his deep and raspy voice.

Phoenix does nothing but rub his shoulder while looking behind her for her roommate.

Emilia walks a little behind with Payback and Coyote. Two boys she seemed the most comfortable with across the whole night, Phoenix smiled as she watched Emilia rest her head on Coyote's shoulder.

The boy having made efforts to make Emilia feel comfortable throughout the whole night. Apparently, he has multiple sisters and therefore, an abundance of knowledge.

"well, it's been nice catching up with you all" Fanboy says as the group of friends round into a circle in the car park of the bar.

Other drunk pilots flee the scene as Penny closes up, she notices Emilia and gives a sweet wave. A gesture which the ginger girl appreciates greatly.

Phoenix is surrounded by Bob, her co-pilot, Hangman, Rooster and Fanboy.

Emilia, Coyote and Payback complete the circle as they join the others.

"and getting to know you" the boy completes his previous sentence whilst looking at Emilia.

"yeah, you guys too" She replies sweetly, having grown fond of all of the others, despite the unfamiliarity of Rooster and Hangman still present.

"You still need a nickname..." Hangman points out, never one to shy away from confrontation.

"So, let's just get this over with then. What's it gonna be?" The girl sighs as she looks around the group.

"what about spears? because like your British, so like BRITtany Spears" Fanboy says in the most serious tone.

Emilia bursts out laughing settling a firm look of confusion on Fanboys face but sets off the other pilots too.

"That is the most obscure thing i have ever heard!" Emilia exclaims, her and Coyote almost doubling over laughing together.

"Giggles seems more appropriate now" Rooster says rolling his eyes as the slightly drunk pair in front of them, the likes of hangman still laughing though.

"You know what, Gigs wouldn't be too bad" Phoenix laughs.

"i know you aren't really supposed to refuse these but there isn't a hope in hell i'm being named after 'giggles'" Emilia instantly sobers up.

"Fine what about Spitfire? You have a fiery temper, clearly living up to the ginger name and it's a fighter plane anyway. Spitfire is perfect" Rooster says looking the girl directly in her eyes.

She rolls them and looks away to see everyone nodding.

"i thought you'd be more creative than that. But fine" She says before waving all the boys off and following Phoenix back to the car.

Once the two girls are safely sat in inside the car, Phoenix instructs Spitfire to strap in.

"Seriously, you fly very fast planes but you need me to strap in for a short drive?" Emilia huffs.

"If you die now, that would be on me. No matter how short the drive is so Emilia stop being a rascal and plug in" The older girl fires back.

"You got it boss" Emilia says, bringing her hand up to her head in mock solute.

They two of them laugh as Phoenix draws the hand break and begins to reverse.

"Do you know why we are here, did you manage to figure it out?" Emilia asks the brunette girl, watching her pull onto the road just behind the two cars of boys as they all return to base.

"We didn't figure out why we are here but, they recruited twelve of the very best, including us, to come back to base so whatever it is - it's going to be massive" Phoenix replies back, a furrow between her own eyebrows as she confesses, a hand being bought up to her mouth as she pinches her bottom lip in thought.

"These guys, i've know them for years. We went up through training together. Graduated roughly four years ago and have been on separate missions since. To be bought back, especially with the people we've been bought back with. It's an honour to be considered, really, for whatever it is." Phoenix says more quietly this time as she seems to drift off in thought.

Emilia succumbs into her own trail of thought. Thinking back to the elite group in Britain and seeing the parallels between the characters in her new group and now old.

She thinks back to rooster and how reserved he is and she can't help but feel as if they are more similar than what meets the eye.

"Spitfire, do you copy?" Emilia is bought back to reality as she here's Phoenix call her new name.

Emilia laughs as Phoenix starts next to her too, she can't help but smile wider as she realises that whatever they are here for, she will be part of a family.

-

I'm sorry this is a filler chapter to bring the story on! next chapter is about meeting Maverick!!