7. "That's another kill", "fuck"

Before we begin, follow my twitter for updates and questions about the book! it's easier on there than here - my handle is @roostershenwr

-

After dealing with the torment from her best friend, Emilia decided to go down to the beach to calm her thoughts.

Having always struggled with anxiety while dealing with having an extroverted personality desperate to escape, Emilia found herself exhausted constantly.

She was always trying to please people and manipulate herself to be different around other people so people would like spending time with her.

She supposed it was something she picked up whilst growing up in a household where no matter what she did, it wasn't good enough.

The gravity of the mission beginning tomorrow was beginning to hit the girl. How she would most likely never be the same again considering how dangerous all the captains have made it out to be.

The girl had never really been exposed to missions like the one she is about to overcome, only really going on ones that give clothes and food to people in need in disadvantaged countries.

Emilia stepped from the concrete of the bar's car park and onto the soft, pale yellow sand of the beach.

Having taken a long nap from just before noon to sunset after having been given the day off a long with all the other aviators, Emilia thought she'd take her dullness elsewhere so as to not disturb Phoenix while she too, was sleeping.

She slips her shoes off as she sits on the beach just before the shore, the sand warming her bare legs as she wears a mid-thigh length white summer dress with dainty blue flowers surrounding her.

Emilia loved relishing in her feminine side, she found it away to de-stress as the vibe completely contrasts the swampy green and khaki of their flight suits.

She lets her hair get caressed by the wind as the calming breeze smothers her body.

The relief alone of complete tranquility causes the small hairs at the base of her neck to stand upright in unison and a shiver to dance down her spine.

Soft waves lap at the shore creating a melodic tune as she delves into complete serenity.

"you okay?" the girl hears a soft voice from beside her.

Emilia jumps slightly before relaxing when her eyes meet Penny's.

"yeah, i'm okay" the girl reply's, her voice quiet as she looks at the older woman who's perched next to her in the same way she is.

"you can talk to me you know? about anything. I know we only met yesterday but you can still talk to me. I have a daughter, im good at listening" the brunette lady says.

Emilia sighs. She feels comfortable around Penny.

"I guess knowing that as soon as I wake up tomorrow, there's no turning back you know? Like i'll know the mission and therefore they'll keep an eye on me so i don't spill their secrets. Also, they say it's incredibly dangerous meaning that regardless of whether I come out alive, someone might not. I know this is my job but I don't know if i'll be able to live with myself" Emilia rants, feeling drawn by Penny's motherly warmth.

"I can't say I know how you feel, because I never will. What I do know though, is that you are a very intelligent lady. You have your wits about you and you are also incredibly talented - Here you're acting like you aren't the best flyer in England! I don't doubt you and you shouldn't either." The woman praises Emilia, placing a warm hand on the girls right shoulder before running it up and down her back in a comforting manner.