Chapter thirty

As darkness settled in, Nyri found herself inside her old apartment building, her hair drenched from the rain and a chill creeping into her bones. Despite her hunger, she had spent the past sixty minutes lost in thought, seeking solace from the chaos that surrounded her. The thought of meeting James for a drink had slipped her mind entirely. In that moment, she longed for the simplicity of a perfect life, one untouched by the turmoil she now faced. But reality was unforgiving, and she knew she couldn't escape it. All she wanted was space – from the secrets, the lies, and the expectations weighing heavily on her shoulders.

As Nyri settled into her old apartment, seeking refuge from the storm raging both outside and within her, she made the decision to disconnect from the outside world. Ignoring the persistent vibrations of her phone, she switched it to airplane mode, silencing the calls and messages that threatened to intrude on her solitude. Hours passed in solitude, the only sound the rhythmic patter of rain against the windowpane. But as the night deepened, a sense of unease crept over Nyri. She couldn't shake the feeling of being watched, of impending danger lurking just beyond the walls of her sanctuary.

Then, like a thunderclap shattering the silence, came the deafening bang on her door. Startled, Nyri's heart pounded in her chest as she hesitated, frozen in fear. Before she could gather her wits to approach the door, it was torn from its hinges with a forceful crash, sending splinters flying through the air. In the darkness of her apartment, Nyri's breath caught in her throat as an intruder rushed in, their presence ominous and foreboding. With nowhere to hide and no one to call for help, she could only brace herself.

The figure that barged into Nyri's apartment was none other than Roy, his face contorted with a mix of worry, fear, and anger. His eyes, usually warm and inviting, now bore a cold intensity that sent shivers down Nyri's spine. "Where the hell have you been?" Roy's voice boomed, filling the cramped space with its ferocity. "Do you have any idea how worried I was? I've been calling you all night." Nyri's mouth went dry, her heart hammering in her chest. She struggled to find the words to explain, but the truth felt too heavy to bear. "I... I needed some time alone," she stammered, her voice barely a whisper.

"Alone? You could have at least let me know," Roy snapped, his frustration palpable. "Do you have any idea what I went through? I thought something terrible had happened to you." As Roy's words pierced through the air, Nyri felt a pang of guilt wash over her. She hadn't meant to cause him worry, but in her desperation to escape, she hadn't considered the consequences of her actions. "I'm sorry," she murmured, her voice barely audible above the pounding rain outside. "I just needed... space." Roy's expression softened, but the tension in the room remained thick as fog. "Space? Nyri, we're married. We're supposed to tell me everthing, not run away from them."

Nyri felt a surge of defiance rise within her, but she knew he was right. She couldn't keep shutting him out, pushing him away, no matter how overwhelming everything felt. "I won't do it again," she promised, her voice steadier now. "I'll try... to be better." Roy's gaze softened, and he reached out to cup her face in his hands, his touch surprisingly gentle despite the intensity of his emotions. "You scared me, Nyri," he admitted, his voice hoarse with emotion. "Please... never do that again."

As Nyri looked into Roy's eyes, she saw not just worry and frustration, but also a deep-seated love that had weathered storms and stood the test of time. In that moment, she felt a surge of warmth envelop her, melting away the walls she had built around her heart.

"I'm sorry, Roy," she whispered, her voice barely above a breath. "I didn't mean to scare you. I just... I needed to clear my head." Roy's expression softened further, his fingers gently tracing the lines of her jaw. "I understand, Nyri," he murmured, his voice filled with tenderness. "But next time, promise me you'll talk to me first. We can face whatever comes our way together."