chapter six

The gentle knock on her door roused Nyri from a sleep that felt like a cruel dream. As she opened her eyes, a wave washed over her, she wished for it all to disappear. The familiarity of her old room struck her; it was where she had grown up, a space filled with memories that now seemed distant and surreal. Reality crashed back as she remembered the devastating conversation with her father. Unable to face the reality, she had retreated to her childhood haven to think and, inevitably, had fallen asleep. The second knock on the door pulled her from her thoughts.

"Come in," she called out, expecting to see the maid. To her surprise, it was her sisters, Edna and Amy. Their presence, though comforting, also brought a sense of trepidation.

As Nyri's sisters entered, Kate and Debby, who had stayed over, stirred from their sleep, their presence adding to the crowded room. Sensing the tension, Nyri's sisters exchanged a glance before turning to Kate and Debby.

"Could you excuse us for a moment? We need to speak to Nyri alone," Amy requested, her tone firm yet polite. Kate and Debby exchanged a look of concern before nodding and quietly slipping out of the room, leaving Nyri alone with her sisters. Edna and Amy watched Nyri, hoping she didn't reveal too much to her friends.

Edna took the lead in speaking. "Father called us last night. He said he convinced you to marry the Kohath's son. From your expression, it seems like you're not thrilled about it. I remember when we had a brief talk about Roy Kohath, you seemed upset about him paying for Adnah's toys." Nyri braced herself for her sisters' reactions.

"I understand the way you are with men. I've seen you, and I know this was one of the hardest decisions you've made. But father only wants the best for you. When Edna and I saw you with Roy at the dinner, we thought the both of you looked perfect" Amy advised gently
"We want only the best for you. You're our baby sister, and we wouldn't see you making the wrong decision and keep quiet about it" .

As her sisters spoke, Nyri felt a mix of emotions. Initially expecting them to be against their father's decision. However, the question lingered in her mind: Did they know about the secret deal? She deliberated whether her sisters were aware of the hidden truth, but ultimately, she convinced herself that they loved her and wouldn't intentionally harm her. Whether or not they were privy to the bargain, their support seemed genuine.

"Open your heart to him, listen to him, get to know him better, do not jump into conclusions without proof. Just look at Williams and I, we are the best couple...
"Just try to make Father a happy man." Edna cut in with a smile plastered on her face

Nyri nodded slowly, a hesitant smile gracing her lips. "Thank you, both of you. It means a lot that you care and want what's best for me." A shadow flitted across her eyes. "But do you... honestly believe Roy and I are a good match?"

Amy and Edna exchanged a quick glance. "We saw a spark between you two at dinner," Edna replied carefully. "And Roy seems like a decent man."

Nyri wasn't entirely convinced, but she decided to trust her sisters for now. "Alright," she sighed. "I'll give him a chance. But let's be clear, I'm not marrying anyone based solely on appearances or promises. I need to get to know Roy on my own terms."

Her sisters beamed. "That's the spirit, Nyri! Now, how about I and Amy help you shop for stunning outfits for his arrival?"

Despite their support, a sliver of uncertainty remained in Nyri's heart. She was determined to navigate this situation with caution, keeping her eyes peeled for any sign that Roy or her father's motives weren't genuine.

As Kate and Debby stepped out of Nyri's room, they found themselves standing in the hallway, They exchanged a glance, each silently acknowledging the tension that had been palpable in the room. Despite the gravity of the situation, a hint of relief washed over them as they finally had a moment alone together. Their gazes met, and for a brief moment, the unspoken understanding between them spoke volumes. It had been too long since they had shared a private moment, and the familiarity of each other's presence offered a sense of comfort in the midst of uncertainty. As they stood there, a sense of nostalgia washed over them, reminding them of the bond they had forged over the years.