chapter twenty_two

The echoes of a slightly loud voice jolted Nyri from her peaceful slumber, disturbing the tranquility of her majestic sleep. She tossed and turned, trying to ignore the intrusive noise and return to her princess-like dreams. But the voice only grew louder, reverberating through the walls of her room as though threatening to shatter the serenity of her sanctuary. With a sigh of resignation, Nyri finally yielded to consciousness, her curiosity piqued by the persistent disturbance.

Reluctantly, she swung her legs off the bed and padded across the room to investigate the source of the commotion. As she entered the kitchen, she was greeted by an unusual sight—Betsy, the household cook, looked disheveled and out of place in an oversized gown that draped her like a shipwrecked sailor lost at sea.

"Betsy, what are you doing here?" Nyri asked, her surprise evident as she took in the unexpected appearance of her usually composed cook.

"Good morning, Mrs. Nyri..." Betsy began, her voice faltering slightly as she tried to maintain her usual composure.

"Call me just Nyri, the 'Mrs.' makes me feel old, please," Nyri interrupted gently, offering a warm smile to alleviate any discomfort.'

"I'm sorry, Nyri..." Betsy replied, her demeanor reflecting a mix of embarrassment and relief at the informal address. 

As Nyri listened to Betsy's explanation, a furrow formed on her brow, her expression a mix of disbelief and irritation. The notion that Roy had sent Betsy to oversee her well-being while he was away struck her as absurd and unnecessary. She couldn't fathom why he felt the need to appoint a babysitter for her, especially when it was clear that Betsy herself seemed more in need of assistance.

With a bemused smile masking her true feelings, Nyri gently dismissed Betsy's supposed duty, asserting that she had no need for a babysitter and certainly had no intention of babysitting anyone in the near future. However, her words slipped out sharper than intended, betraying the frustration bubbling beneath the surface.

Betsy, taken aback by Nyri's response, apologized and insisted that she was only following Roy's instructions. Yet, Nyri couldn't shake the feeling of irritation at Roy's seemingly misguided decision.

The image of having someone constantly monitoring her every move left Nyri feeling suffocated, like a bird confined to a cage. She couldn't understand why Roy felt the need to micromanage her life in such a manner, and the realization only served to deepen her irritation. As she pondered the implications of Roy's decision, a sense of resentment simmered within her, overshadowing any gratitude she might have felt towards his concern.

"Nyri waved a dismissive hand. 'Never mind, I'll show you to your room,'" she said, trying to mask her unease.

Betsy's response came quickly, almost too eagerly "Please don't worry," she interjected, "I know my way around. I've been here, a lot... I know my way to the maids' room."

"Ok, if you say so," Nyri replied, her suspicion growing with each word.

As Nyri watched Betsy head towards the guest room, she couldn't shake off the nagging feeling that Roy's timing in sending the maid was less about her well-being and more about keeping an eye on her. Betsy's presence only added to Nyri's stress, as she now had to be extra cautious to conceal her pregnancy.

Once Betsy disappeared from view, Nyri quietly made her way to the kitchen to prepare breakfast. Her appetite had been inconsistent lately, but she knew she couldn't afford to raise any suspicion by skipping meals entirely. Betsy's tendency to gossip was well-known, and Nyri couldn't risk her discovering the truth about her pregnancy. Despite showing no physical signs yet, Nyri knew she had to be careful, especially around someone as nosy as Betsy. She resolved to maintain her routine of eating regularly and feigning tiredness to avoid any unwanted attention.