Chapter One (EDITED)

My dad and I walk back down to the car after unpacking all of the things for my room.

"Bye, Bell, I will miss you so much my girl." My dad has tears forming in his eyes, which makes me want to cry too.

"Dad, I love you so much."

"I love you more. You be safe and don't get into too much trouble."

After we say our goodbyes, I watch him drive away.

It's strange to think that I'm actually on my own for the first time in eighteen years. It's always been me and my dad. Sure, growing up I had friends, but I was always the closest to my dad. I guess that has something to do with the fact that mom left when I was five.

My dad was miserable when mom left, more than he let me see. One day I remember coming home from school and finding him crying in the garage. When I say he was crying, I mean he was full on sobbing. I'd never seen him like that, so it was a lot to process. My mom did that to him. Well, not my mom. It was more so the drugs that she had been taking forever.

The sound of a door interrupts my thoughts. I look up to see a girl walk in with a few bags. She's pretty, with short, sleek black hair. Once she notices me, she smiles and begins to speak.

"Hey, I'm Hannah!" she smiles.

"Bella," I smile back, "I guess you've already moved in."

"Yeah, I came a week ago to help with the new freshmen moving in."

"Oh, are you not a freshman then?" I'm confused as to why the school placed me with somebody who is not a freshman like me.

"No, I'm actually a junior here. I requested a freshman roomie because I wanted to take somebody under my wing!"

Okay, she seems nice, so I guess this is a good thing. It'll make it easier for me to branch out and get to know more people.

I smile at Hannah, and respond, "Okay, cool. I'm glad."

"So, do yo-"

Hannah is interrupted by her phone ringing. She answers the call, and I do my best to not listen to the conversation. I hear bits and pieces because I am very nosey.

"Luke, I don't know if Tate would like that or not. You know he doesn't like having that many people over," Hannah says into the phone.

My ears perk up at the sound of Tate's name. Is it the same Tate from earlier? The very attractive Tate. I hope it is. I need to figure out how I know him. My thoughts are interrupted because Hannah starts talking to me again.

"Soooooooo," she drags out, "My boyfriend Luke is wanting to have a back-to-school party at his apartment. Do you want to come with me?"

I ponder the idea for a moment, then I shake my head no. I don't do well at parties. A party is where the worst moment of my life happened. Besides, when my mom left me. Of course, I'm not telling a stranger that.

Hannah looks confused, so she asks, "Why not? It'll be fun, and I promise they're all nice."

"I just don't really go to parties, and I don't know any of them."

"Okay, but it would be a great way to get to know people, and I will take care of you, I promise," she begs.

I mean, what's the worst that could happen? Hannah really wants me to come, and I promised my dad I would try to make friends this year.

I look at Hannah and smile, "Why not?"

A few hours later, Hannah peaks her head in my room and tells me that it's time to go. We walk downstairs and get in a cab.