Chapter Ten

A few hours later, I am sitting in our living room on the pink, polka dot couch. My laptop is sitting in my lap, as I work on Economics homework.

"So, Bella," Hannah walks into the living room holding a lacy, purple dress. "What do you think of this one?" She holds up the dress and spins a few times.

"For what?"

"Your date."

I laugh, but then I look at Hannah to see that she is being serious. "What date are you talking about?"

"Oh, Tate didn't tell you? He's taking you out to dinner tonight."

"Since when?"

"He texted me an hour ago, and he said to tell you to be ready at 5."

I glance at the clock on my phone. It's 3:35.

"Why didn't Tate tell me about the date?" I question.

"He knew you'd say no, so I have to help you get ready. He's really trying to be better for you, Bella. Just give him a chance."

"Fine, but we better start getting me ready. I have to wow him tonight."

Hannah and I head into my bedroom to start getting me ready for the date. Hannah does my makeup, and I straighten my light brown hair.

About an hour later, there's a knock on the door. Oh God, he's early. I can feel my palms getting clammy because of my nerves.

"Coming!" Hannah shouts as she runs to our door.

"You're not who I was expecting to see. Bella, Seth is here!" I hear Hannah shout to me.

Seth? I look at the clock on my phone, which reads 4:43 pm. Tate will be here very soon, and Seth cannot be here. Tate would be livid.

"Seth!" I give him a quick hug. "What are you doing here?"

"Wow, Bella, you look amazing. I just thought I'd come see if you wanted to catch a movie tonight."

"If you guys will excuse me, I'm gonna be," Hannah starts, "not here." She walks over into her bedroom.

"Uh," I glance up at Seth, nervously. "I kind of have plans tonight, but I would love to go to the movies with you another night."

"What plans?"

"Um, I may or may not have a date."

"Bella, don't tell me it's with him."

I let out a nervous laugh. "By him, who do you mean?"

"Tate."

"It is with Tate, and he's actually gonna be here any minute now. It might be in your best interest to head out."

"You can do so much better than him, and I'm sorry if I come off a little strong. I just think you are selling yourself short here."

I sigh, not knowing what to say.

"Alright, I guess I'll head out. When he breaks your heart, let me know."

Seth turns to walk out the door, but there's a knock. Oh God, no. Tate is gonna freak out. Seth stops and looks at me, pondering.

He grins, mischievously, and opens the door.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Tate immediately asks.

"Oh, just seeing my girl Bel." Seth smirks at Tate.

"Your girl? Hell no, she's going on a date with me."

"Yeah, but what if we already had our date? Did you ever think of that one, Tate?"

"No, because Bella knows better."

"What, like you're better than me? If Bella had any sense about her, she would never speak to your dumbass again."

"What the fuck did you just say about her?" Tate's face starts to turn red. Oh God, this is not going to go well.

"Boys!" I shout. "Tate, sit down on the couch and cool down. We'll talk in a second. Seth, I think it's time for you to go home."

Tate nods, and he takes a seat on the coach. Seth, on the other hand, does not move an inch.

"Respectfully, I don't think I should leave. He started it."

"You know, Seth, this isn't like you. Please leave my apartment. I have a date that I'd really like to go on. We can talk later."

Finally, Seth nods and leaves the apartment. I turn to look at Tate, who is staring at a wall.

"Can we talk?" I take a seat beside him on the coach.

"Sure," Tate shrugs his shoulders.

"I didn't know he was coming over. In fact, we thought it was you knocking on the door fifteen minutes ago, but it was Seth. He came in to ask me if I wanted to go see a movie with him, and I said I had a date with you. Then, you knocked on the door and saw the rest."

"Dude really showed you his true colors, didn't he? He's a privileged bastard, who gets everything handed to him."

"Tate, be nice! Can we just go on our date?"

"Yeah, sure." He gets up from the couch, and I follow suit.

We head out of the brick apartment building, and I follow Tate over to his blue Jeep. He, shockingly, opens the passenger door for me and watches me get seated. Then, he goes to the other side and hops in.

He turns to me and smiles. "I don't know if I told you how beautiful you look tonight, Bell."

Somebody stop cutting the onions please. Tate makes me feel things I have truly never felt before, and it makes me so nervous.

"Thank you," I smile. "So, what's the plan for tonight?"

"We have dinner reservations in Houston, and then afterwards I thought maybe we could visit a place that is special to me."

Houston is only an hour drive from my apartment, so I agree. Tate drives us, and we talk about everything on the way.

"Do you know what the best part of this drive has been?" Tate asks.

"What?"

"The fact that when I look over there, I get to see you. I get to think about how many times I saw your little pink bow running through the fields after your mom when she would come see my dad. I think about how difficult both of our lives were, and I think about how I get the chance to spend this time with you. Things could have been so different if I knew who you were way back then, but I think I'm still in disbelief that we get this chance now."

"Who let you become all romantic all of a sudden, Tate?"

"I had a realization last night, and it sparked something in me."

After the drive to Houston, Tate and I walk into the restaurant that we are having dinner at. The place is very fancy, and it is called "Bon Favor Texas."

The polished brown tables have beautiful planters with red roses, and the walls are covered in artwork from local artists. The restaurant is buzzing with visitors, from children to elders. Everybody is having an amazing time, and you can tell.

Tate and I eventually are brought our food, and it is truly delicious. We chat about more things until the meal is complete, and then we head back out to the Jeep.

Before Tate starts driving again, he leans over to give me a quick kiss. Then he asks something I would have never guessed:

"Bella, do you want to go see my mom with me?"