Chapter 2

"Alright, everyone! It's time!" my mother announced. "The first time our new wolves shift. Men you will go to the northern gardens. Ladies, we're going to the southern gardens."

I watched as Alex walked through the front doors with Alpha Anwar, the king, and the other high-ranking men.

"Come on, weirdo." Harmony grabbed my hand, dragging me to the patio doors that led out to our flower garden "Oh! Wait a second!"

Harmony looked around the room and smiled, waving at Rich.

"I want to say bye real quick."

"We're coming right back," I laughed.

"I know. But I'll be coming back a woman," she giggled.

I watched as she skipped across the room and right into Rich's arms. He spun her around kissing her deeply. She whispered in his ear and a grin spread across his face.

Harmony hurried back to my side as we walked to the center of the circle of ladies. I reached out for my sister's hands and grasped them tightly.

The moonflowers that covered the garden were in full bloom as we took our place.

Our mother approached us, a wary smile on her face. "Alright, girls. It's time. The moon is almost at its highest point. Artemis is looking down upon you both. The first shift hurts a little, so don't be worried about that. It's just your body adjusting to the change. I love you both and I am so proud of you!"

"Thanks, mom," I said quietly, hugging her.

"Love you, mom." Harmony joined the hug.

"Together?" I asked.

"Always," she replied.

A tingling sensation started in my toes and the tips of my fingers quickly spreading through my entire body. I watched as Harmony grew long, blonde hair all over her body. Her face contorted as her nose vanished and a snout replaced it. Her fangs glistened in the moonlight as her grasp on me loosened. I glanced down and saw that both of our hands were replaced with paws.

An intense burn came from deep within. I thought my body was going to erupt into flames. The pain came from my bones as I heard a sickening crunch and crack, forcing me to my knees. I let out a scream as the moon shone brighter and brighter. The light enveloped me to the point I saw nothing else.

Just as suddenly as the pain started, it stopped.

I wasn't in the circle anymore though. I wasn't even on my family's grounds. It was emptiness. A complete void.

"Dear child."

I looked around, as much as my wolf neck would allow me.

"Do not fear. I have been waiting for this day for a long time."

Who's there?

A beautiful young woman appeared before me, surrounded by the moon.

Who is that?

"I am Artemis. Goddess of the moon. Goddess of the woodlands. And your mother."

You can hear me? I thought in my head.

"Of course, my darling daughter."

Daughter? What do you mean?

"You are my child. A wolf, born under the light of the full moon. It is your destiny to protect the balance of nature, to defend the weak, and to honor the ancient ways."

"But how? I don't know anything about being a wolf."

"You will learn. You are strong and brave, and you have the love and support of your mate. And I will always be with you, guiding you on your journey."