Chapter 25

"We can arrange that. He is wary of you though."

"He is wary of me?" I arched a brow at the king.

Kind Orsand nodded his head. "You are new to the royal city, mated to the prince, and seem to be involved in everything going on."

I glanced down and stared at my shoes. "Yeah, I could see why that would make me seem a bit suspicious."

"He doesn't know your secret."

"Do you think he's someone I could trust with information like that?" I asked.

"If there was anyone that you could trust 100% with a secret that big, it's Andrew."

"Okay, let's set up a meeting. If those monsters are encroaching on Winter Lake then we have big, big problems."

"Do you have any idea who could be behind this?" Queen Amelia questioned.

I shook my head. "Not yet. I'm still looking into it."

"There you are! I was wondering where you slipped away to."

"Hi, Edmond. I'm just talking with your parents."

"Are we talking business or other business?" he asked.

"Other business," Kind Orsand answered.

"You're majesty?" Marsha asked, moving the curtain to the side slightly.

"Yes?"

"It's time for your ending speech."

"Oh. Already?"

"Yes, majesty. It's nearing midnight."

Orsand nodded his head. "Very well. Let's get this done so we can all retire for the evening."

Marsha bowed low, waiting for Orsand to renter the ballroom.

Edmon grasped my hand as we followed behind his mother.

"What was that really about?" he asked.

"The creatures."

"Why?" 

"There was an incident not far from here."

"What?" he asked as loudly as he dared.

"Yeah, someone was attacked. I don't think they much about what happened yet."

"We have to find out who is doing this and stop them."

"I agree. I'm going to the library tomorrow if you would like to join me."

"Of course." 

We stood to the side of the stage as the king gave his night-ending speech before leading everyone into the gardens. It was a strange tradition, but at the end of all balls and galas, there was a unity howl amongst all of the wolves. 

Something about showing solidarity against our enemies.

I suppose at such a time as we were in a unity howl isn't a bad thing. Hopefully, it would scare off the creatures for a bit longer. It was only a matter of time before they struck within Winter Lake again, and it wouldn't stay a secret for long.

As the howl ended, I walked, arm-in-arm with Ashley to our chambers. 

I was rather surprised to see that all of my stuff had been removed and Alastair's was there.

"Uhm...where are all of my things?"

"Why are Alastair's bags here?" Ashley asked.

"Mated couples sleep in the same quarters, ma'am," Phil said.