Chapter 39

Alastair fell to his knees, sobbing as he cradled his Alpha's body in his arms.

"Alpha?" he asked between sobs. "Please, be okay."

I watched as Alpha Wesley lifted his hand, reaching out to Alastair. His lips moved, speaking something only he could hear. Wesley's eyes rolled to the back of his head and his arm fell to his side.

"Alpha? Alpha! Wesley! Wake up!"

Alastair placed the body of his Alpha on the ground and stood up, screaming to the sky. He paced around before slamming his fist into a glass door. It was jarring to see the usually stoic Alastair in such a state of distress.

"Alastair," Ashely said.

"Bring him back!" he yelled at me.

"I-I...I can't."

"You can! You can!"

"Alastair, lower your voice," Edmond warned in a growl.

"Why won't you save him?"

"I'm sorry. I can't. I'm interfering with the Moirai too much as it is. I don't have any spare souls to give to them."

He let out a guttural roar before turning into a wolf and bounding down the stairs. Ashley started to run after him, turning wolf halfway down the stairs.

I watched as the two vanished beyond the tree line. My heart felt like it fell into the pit of my stomach and shattered into a million pieces.

"Carry him inside," I said quietly.

"What?" Edmond asked.

"Take him inside. I'm going to bring him back."

Andrew shot a glare at me.

"I'll bring yours back too when we get back to your village."

"Elanor, the Moirai?" King Orsand asked.

"I guess I'll just deal with them. Maybe they'll just take my soul in exchange for everyone else."

"Ellie...." Edmond started.

"Your soul?" Andrew asked.

"Yes, Andrew. My soul. For every person I bring back I owe the Moirai a soul."

Edmond glared at him, anger seething in his eyes. "You know why she's doing this? Do you?"

Andrew didn't look up at him.

"Ellie, you can't."

"I have the ability, Andrew is right. I have no choice."

"You do have a choice! Ellie, you can't do this!" Edmond yelled, following me and the Alpha's body. "Please, I can't lose you."

I stopped and turned to him. I cupped his face in my hand and smiled lightly. A tear slid down my cheek as I just turned and walked inside.

"Where do you want him?" the Gamma asked.

"Uh, I guess just right there."

"What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to patch up his wounds."

"That's it? Because the way that conversation sounded, you're doing more than that."

I shook my head. "Nope. That's it."

He stood there and stared at me as I knelt beside Alpha Wesley.

"Do you mind giving me a bit of privacy? I don't like working with an audience."

He narrowed his eyes at me and left the room, leaving me alone with the body. I focused deep within myself, being pulled out when I heard feet crunching on broken glass behind me.