Chapter 21

I sat in our room, in the dark, trying to calm myself. My heart thudded in my chest. I couldn't believe that the queen really thought I could be her son's mate.

"Are you ready?" Ashley asked, opening the door. "Oh my God! Ellie! Everyone's arriving already! You're not even dressed."

"I can't do it," I said. "This is a lot."

"Yeah, but if anyone can do it, you can. I have faith in you, Ellie. We all need you."

"Do you?"

"Of course! You're the daughter of Artemis. Possibly the future queen of all of the werewolf realm."

I felt like I was going to throw up. We didn't even know if this was a for sure thing

"Maybe."

"Even if you don't mate with the prince, we are going to have a blast tonight!"

"Yeah. But then Alex and Harmony..."

"Ignore them! They don't matter! You don't ever have to go back there! There are a lot of options for the girl who is helping defeat the creatures. Everyone loves you."

"Us," I corrected.

"Oh, I'm just tagging along."

"You are definitely not tagging along. I would not be able to do this without you."

"Nah. You would be just fine. Ellie," Ashley said.

I shook my head and stood up from the couch. I stepped into the gown and turned to let Ashley lace up the back for me. Slipping on the shoes, I followed her out of the room and to the grand ballroom.

The doors towered to the ceiling of the large portion of the building. Music drifted out to us as we heard the chatter of people talking. Walking in, the room was filled with people. My heart thudded in my chest as I looked for anyone that I knew.

The lighting in the room was soft, casting golden glows against the cream walls which were adorned with paintings, shields, swords, and tapestries.

A band played in the far corner while butlers walked about with hors d'oeuvre and champagne.

I spotted Beta Marsha standing with a tall, dark-haired man. She waved and smiled at me. Annie held to glasses of champagne, sipping from them both.

I feel the same way.

The drapes were pulled on the windows, blocking out the outside.

"Look at this! It's incredible! Oh, it's Alastair!" Ashley released my hand and flitted away to see her mate.

I spotted dad standing with mom, Alpha Anwar, and Luna Celeste. I sighed with relief and walked toward them.

"Ellie!" my mother called loudly. "Oh, my sweet girl!"

She wrapped her arms around me and squeezed tight.

"Hi, mom."

"I've missed you so much!"

"I missed you too."

"Are you being safe? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. We're both safe. Is Gamma Arthur here?"

"He's getting a drink with Abigail."

"My mom and dad are here?" Ashley asked, approaching us. "They need to meet Alastair."

"Yeah. They're right over..."

"Who's Alastair?" mom asked.

"He's the Beta from Silver Peak," dad said.