6

My heart sinks into my chest. I feel myself getting shaky. My eyes start to fill with tears. I try to hold myself together since Vanessa is right next to me, but it doesn't work. I start crying.

"What's wrong?" Vanessa pulls the car over into an empty and secluded gravel parking lot.

I can't find a way to say anything. Words don't form in my head. I show her the text. She then pulls me into a tight hug while I cry into her chest.

"It'll be fine. He'll recover quickly." She says pulling away. Instinctively I tug her back into me. She squeezes even tighter this time. We stay like this for a while.

"Let me drive you home." She says with a faint smile. I only nod in response.

The ride home was quite. Neither of us said anything. When we arrive at my house I say bye and walk through my back door. I enter to the sight of my sister sitting at the kitchen counter

"Where were you last night?" She asks in a harsh tone.

"I was at Amber's. Didn't she call you last night?"

"I'm not an idiot Sky. I know that wasn't Amber's voice." She's really mad.

"Shouldn't you be worried about dad and not where I was last night?"

"We'll deal with that later. But you've been disappearing without telling me where you were all week. You have me worried sick." She sounds like a mom. "And when you finally come home, all you do is lie about where you've been."

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry." I contemplated telling the truth or not. "I have a new friend. I've been hanging out with her a lot. I just haven't told anyone because she's the most popular girl at school."

Valentina's face is washed with relief. "Thats it? I thought you were doing drugs or something." She puts her hand to her face. "So why couldn't you tell me that before instead of lying?"

"I don't know." I answer truthfully. I honestly have no idea why I haven't told her.

"Who is she?" Valentina sits up looking interested.

"Her name is Vanessa Adams. She's the head cheerleader and every boy in school is in love with her." I get out my phone and show her Vanessa's instagram.

"She's pretty." Valentina hands my phone back. "How did you guys meet?"

"At that party last week."

A smile creeps onto Valentina's face, "Alright."

I almost forget about the text she sent me. "What about dad? Is be going to be alright?"

"Oh yeah, he'll be fine. He just has a broken leg."

"WHAT!?" I feel my face get hot. "YOU MADE ME THINK HE WAS GOING TO DIE. I CRIED IN FRONT OF VANESSA!"

"Wow, calm down." Valentina stands up to rub my back. "I might have overreacted a little to get to come home."

I take a few deep breathes in attempt to relax. "You suck." I laugh running up the stairs to my room. I reach for my phone to call Vanessa.

"Hey are you alright?" She asks.

"Yeah I'm fine, my sister made it sound worse than it is."

"Oh that's good." She chuckles.

"I also told my sister about you. So if you want, we could hang out at my place tomorrow."

"That sounds great."

                                     +++

The next day couldn't have come any slower. "Just make sure you aren't weird of anything. I don't want her thinking my family is a freak show." I say to my sister before the doorbell rings.