25

The courtroom roared with applause. Kevin Langston was taken away in handcuffs. I looked to Vanessa, she was clapping and looking right back at me. Everyone exited the courtroom heading out for the parking lot.

"Sky!" Vanessa pulled me into a hug. "You did it."

I smiled and kissed the top of her head. "I have some plans for us."

She pulled back to see my face. "What do you mean?"

"It's a surprise."

"You know I hate surprises."

"Well I don't care, I'm not telling you."

She gave me puppy dog eyes.

"That's not going to work on me." I laughed. "Come on, let's get in the car."

It was already dark out, and was almost time for the first surprise I had planned. I drove us out of the city, and Vanessa kept asking questions. About an hour later, we arrived.

"So the first surprise is a drive-in movie."

She quickly turned to face me. "Holy shit! Are you serious?"

I nodded.

"God, I fucking love you."

I smiled.

Vanessa always wanted to go to a drive-in movie, but she's never had the chance to since out hometown didn't have one. And since I knew the owner of the place, I got him to play her favorite movie.

"I can't believe this. Oh my god!"

I parked the car in a good spot facing away the large screen and she immediately pulled me into a passionate kiss. Who knew taking her to a drive-in movie would get her this excited?

I reached for a few blankets in the backseat and got out of the car, Vanessa followed. I opened the trunk and it revealed an assortment of snacks. Putting the back seat down, I laid down the blankets and climbed inside.

"I can't believe you did this." Vanessa laid beside me, getting under the blankets. "I don't deserve you."

I kissed her. "I'm just trying to make up for those five years."

The movie started and Vanessa quickly recognized the opening credits.

"What the fuck? Is this Beetlejuice?"

I nodded.

She climbed on top kissing me deeply. "I can't believe you did all this."

I smiled.

About half way through the movie, Vanessa tapped my shoulder to get my attention. We were cuddling under the blankets and her head was nuzzled into my chest as we watched the movie. I turned my attention to Vanessa.

"I love you so much."

I smiled. "I love you too so much."

"No, no. You don't get what I'm saying." She paused. "I love you more than I thought was humanly possible. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I want to raise kids with you. I want to kiss you until the day I die."

My heart started pulsing. The most perfect person was in my arms, and telling me all this stuff I would hear from a rom com.

"I want all of those things with you too."

She kissed me slowly, it lasted probably the rest of the movie. Just us kissing in the trunk of my car. And when we heard the other cars leaving, I pulled away and whispered. "I love you so so much."

                                        +++

"Morning." I gently shook Vanessa awake in our bed.