Chapter 23 - The Anomaly in the Nine Realms [Pt. 1]

"Did you have fun?" Feng Jiu greeted them when they returned. "Oh my, you even brought back fruits," she eyed the basket Gun Gun was holding with happiness, eyes curving to moon crescents as she ruffled her son's hair affectionately.

Gun Gun ran towards her and gave her the fruits. "Mother, can you make me lots of delicious cakes? I'm very hungry," then he whispered. "Also, can I hunt with Prince Fenrir?"

"It'd do him a lot of good, Teacher," remarked Fenrir who was munching on an apple, a hunting bow already on his back, which looked very comical since he was bearing the appearance of a four-year old mortal. Gun Gun, who was millenias younger than him, looked older than him in the meantime.

If he did that bearing the appearance of a twelve or fifteen year old mortal, he would have looked alright, but currently, he looked like a dumpling trying to scare off someone with a pout.

Feng Jiu clapped her hands in delight. "Good idea. You can hunt, and we can have a feast to celebrate your arrival here," she conjured a sword in her hand. "While you hunt, I can prepare for desserts," she passed the sword to Gun Gun. "Take care of that, because that right there is my personal hunting weapon," Gun Gun cheered and raced outside, accompanied by Fenrir claiming it was necessary that someone watch over Gun Gun.

"Mask his appearance well, Cheng Jiao," it would do no one good if someone thinks that Gun Gun would be a valuable hostage just because of his hair color. While she was confident that Cheng Jiao could handle those nuisances effortlessly, she'd rather not deal with the ruckus after it would be all over the kingdom.

Cheng Jiao got on one knee to pay his salutations and reached into his robes, pulling out a letter. "It is from Grand General Canterbury, My Lady."

Feng Jiu shook her head as she unrolled the parchment. "Cheng Jiao, you should call him Demon Lord Gu. We are not in the same realm anymore," she smiled, reading the contents. "Run along after them then," Cheng Jiao did not waste anymore time and hurried after both Gun Gun and Fenrir. Jormungand was not with them because he was currently purifying the Northern Deserts.

Blessings and graces be upon Her Highness, Bai Feng Jiu,

I write this letter to you, to give my words of welcome to the young prince Gun Gun...

Did that mean that every other from the Nine Realms knew of his arrival? It unnerved Feng Jiu, as she did not even sense it. But that was probably because she was retrieving Fenrir somewhere in the Demon Lands after that failed attempt on him.

... may the young princes be blessed with a happy, healthy and safe stay in the Nine Heavens.

Best of wishes,

Demon Lord Gu XiaoYu

Feng Jiu set the letter aside, mentally reminding herself to write a reply to it after she was done and sighed, reaching for the mind of one of her summons. Through its eyes, she sees Fenrir and Gun Gun traipsing through the woods, dutifully guarded by Cheng Jiao, before disconnecting.

Once again, she sighed, this time, resting her chin onto her propped up palm.