Chapter 6 - Feng Jiu's Apathy

Fate works in funny ways.

Feng Jiu was a witness to it all.

"One only learns how to value something when it is already gone," she'd once told Loki when she decided it was time for him to end his cruel actions against his wife, his Princess Consort, Lady Sigyn.

Truth be told, she never expected Loki to be moved by Sigyn's character, gentle and flower-like, to his icy and cruel one. But he was. And by then, it was too late.

"The only thing... I regret... in this life... is loving him dearly..." Sigyn told her on her deathbed as she gazed lovingly at her twin sons who was just born. "... I... I can't even bring myself... to hate him..."

Sigyn died of a broken heart, following the death of her parents. Not even the birth of her sons could give her the will to live. When Loki arrived, the words he had caught were ones that stung deeply, and forever were carved into his soul and his heart.

"If I ever have a next life... I won't... ever... fall in love with him again..."

And just like that, Sigyn breathed her last and left the world of the living.

The mourning was a quiet affair. One that people did not talk about loudly. Anyone would think that Sigyn didn't hold much importance in Loki's heart, but Feng Jiu knew Loki most out of all of them.

The reason why her death was not much spoken was because Loki did not want to remember how he indirectly killed her. The reason why he sent his sons away was because it reminded him of his failure. If Sigyn did not suffer from a broken heart, she would have been able to deliver Prince Nari and Vali safely and healthily.

If he didn't do all those things, she still would've been alive.

But she wasn't.

She was dead and nothing could bring her back.

Not even his regret.

She could still remember the day when a poisoned spear had gone through the heart of Prince Vali. The enemy indeed was vile and cruel. The poison transformed Vali into a wolf, and Prince Nari became a victim to his brother who was out of control. Vali, already a wolf, tore Nari to pieces, and when he had regained his bearings, naked as the day he was born, the first thing he saw was his brother's decapitated body, his entrails scattered. Vali immediately understood what happened and went mad, then went on to kill himself.

They were late, and Loki could only hold on to his sons' remains as he wept in anger, demanding the Heavens to bring his children back.

That day, the Heavens wept and mourned with him. Every shout brought forth a thunderstorm. Loki was not willing to accept that his only son with the woman he loved was dead.

So this was love.

After that, Loki went into a state of comatose from time to time.