The Heat Is On | Part VIII

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐭 𝐈𝐬 𝐎𝐧 | 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝟐𝟐𝐧𝐝 𝐒𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟔
𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐃𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐁𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞

𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐔𝐏𝐏𝐎𝐒𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐖𝐀𝐘. I was never supposed to fall for him.

It was a ridiculous notion of course. How could I have fallen for him? I hardly know him. Was it because he was the only person who gave me any ounce of attention? The only boy who spoke to me within a ten mile radius?

I was turning myself inside out wondering what I possibly could have done to deter him.
Could he tell that I liked him? How could he have done? I hadn't even known that I had liked him until that very moment where he acted like I practically nauseated him.

I hadn't seen or heard from him since he dropped me home on Friday. Not that I had really anticipated I would have. But I can't say that I wasn't mildly disappointed.

Another day had gone by at Hawkins High. Another day of listening to Sarah's incessant grumbling about the guys in the Debate Club and another day of no Eddie.

He didn't show up to Mr Henry's class and I didn't see him at all at lunch.

I sat on my bed reading an old issue of Tiger Beat magazine. My tape of Don't Come Around Here No More by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers playing low in the background. Dad had, had another bad day and had turned in for the night early. He was struggling to find clients and to make any sales but was too proud to say so.

I looked up from my magazine with a sigh, closing it and throwing it down onto the floor next to me. I headed over to my lamp that was situated across the room on my dresser before I heard a tap.

I stopped in my tracks, my body froze as my head snapped towards my window.

Another tap.

I scrambled over to the window, to see once again Eddie Munson standing out on my front lawn. I took a sharp intake of breath as I slid my window open.

'Hey.' He whispered sharply, I could barely make out his face due to how dark it was outside.

'What are you doing?' I hissed.

'Can I come up?' He asked.

'Up? I can't let you in through the house my Dad will hear.'

'Gimme a minute I can climb up.' He stated, putting one foot at the bottom of the drain pipe that ran across the side of my house. Putting one hand above the other and using his free foot to give himself a push up. He began scaling the side of my house, some soft grunts exiting his mouth as he did so.

I looked down at what I was wearing, a black vest top and my plaid pyjama bottoms, I ran over to my closet, pulling a black cotton cardigan off of the hanger and throwing it over me. Concealing the bare parts of my skin, wrapping it around my torso before I approached the window again.

Below my window was a concrete ledge for the top of our garage that he managed to clamber on to, walking over to my window. I stepped back, seeing only his hands gripping my window ledge before his head appeared slowly after.

His tongue was curled upwards against his top lip in concentration.

Soon enough his body was halfway through the window as he fell onto the floor with a thud.

He stood up, brushing himself off and raking his hands through his hair frantically to smooth it out.

'Are you for real?' I asked, utter confusion plastered across my face.