Holding Out For A Hero | Part XVI

𝐇𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐎𝐮𝐭 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝐀 𝐇𝐞𝐫𝐨 | 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐗𝐕𝐈

𝐖𝐄 𝐂𝐘𝐂𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐒, 𝐓𝐀𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐁𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐑𝐎𝐀𝐃𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐘𝐒 𝐓𝐎 𝐄𝐍𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐄 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐍'𝐓 𝐒𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐎𝐑 𝐂𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐁𝐘 𝐀𝐍𝐘𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐎𝐍 𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐋𝐒.

Eventually we reached the trailer park which was pretty much a desolate land at this point. It didn't appear that a lot of the residents had stuck around for much longer after what had happened to Chrissy.

We used Dustin's compass to guide us to Eddie's trailer, the maniacal spinning meant that we were sure we had reached the right one.

Fortunately the door was already unlocked which meant we didn't have to go to any extra efforts to get inside. But what we saw before us was something beyond our wildest comprehensions.

'Holy shit, is that'- Lucas started.

The six of us stood beneath what we understood to be the gate. A gaping hole in the centre of the ceiling of the living-room in Eddie's trailer. Black tendrils sprawling across the ceiling, a flesh like tissue in the centre as it twitched and churned like some form of internal organ.

'Yep, that's a gate alright.' Dustin breathed out, not breaking eye contact with it.

'This is insanity.' Sarah muttered.

'Is it - moving?' Max queried.

'It's like it has its own biological growth. Like some weird membrane.' Dustin pondered.

'And we're sure this is going to work? That, this is what's going to bring them back?' Erica asked.

'There's only one way to find out.' I shrugged.

'Okay, so how do we do this. It's on the ceiling how are we gonna reach it?' Lucas asked.

I gazed around at my surroundings, noticing a wooden broom propped up against the wall of the kitchen area in my peripheral.

'Here.' I announced, as I walked over to it, grabbing it and waltzing back into the centre of the room.

'I'll just poke a small hole, see if there's anything on the other side.' I said as I began to approach the gate further, swallowing a petrified lump in my throat as I raised the end of the broom to the centre of it.

'Wait!' Lucas cried.

'What?' I huffed, turning on my heel to face him in annoyance.

'What if they're not on the other side, what if it's a Demogorgon or Vecna?' Lucas cautioned, his voice wavering slightly as he spoke.

'Really? We came all this way for you to back out now?' Dustin retorted.

'I'm not backing out! I'm just pointing out the risks of this entire operation. We're literally inviting anything into not just the trailer right now, but the entirety of Hawkins.' Lucas spoke authoritatively.

'Hey, I hate to break it to you but that gate means that's already happening!' Dustin shot back, pointing up at the gate.

'Uh, not really. It's essentially dormant right now. Opening it up could mean the whole of the Upside Down spilling out.' Lucas argued, a patronising tone in his voice.

'Does that look dormant to you? It has fucking tentacles.' Dustin yelled.

'Shut up!' I cried.