Chapter 40

They did make a small trip to Forks, only so that everyone could grab everything that they needed. Jared asked if he could come along with the Cullens, and although Carlisle was surprised by the request, he agreed to it.

"Jared, you mind coming and helping me?" Nichole said, and Jared nodded, sending Jacob a confused look before he followed Nichole up the stairs.

"I figured that you would want Jacob to help you," Jared said as he entered Nichole's room.

"Yeah, but there's some things that I wanted to talk to you about." Nichole pulled a suitcase out from under her bed, setting it on the mattress before she went into her closet. "So what's going on between you and Alice?"

"Uh, what do you mean?"

"Jared, don't try and pretend that you don't know what I'm talking about. I see the way that you look at her, it's the same way that I used to look at Tia. Have you imprinted on her?"

Jared shook his head as Nichole came out of the closet. "No, at least I don't think that I did."

"Trust me, you would know if you had. It may be coming though. Look, I know that things aren't going the greatest between her and Jasper. They try to keep these things from me because they don't want me to worry, but I know. You like her, don't you?"

Jared sighed, sitting down on the bed and running a hand through his hair. "I don't know what to feel, Nichole. Alice is great, she's kind and bubbly, but I also don't want to ruin things between her and Jasper, you know? Not while they still have a chance together."

"Jared..." Nichole sighed softly. "They're not going to work out. I hate to say it, but they're not. I mean, their relationship wasn't the best even before I came along. You like to think that when you meet someone, you're going to be with them for the rest of your life, but sometimes it just doesn't work out like that. It's easier when you're a wolf, because it's like destiny knows who it is that you're supposed to be with. And I don't know. Maybe you're meant to be with Alice, and maybe you're meant to be with someone else. Only time will be able to tell. That's part of the reason why you want to come with us, isn't it?"

"Well...partially." Jared bit his lower lip. "Before I became a wolf, I always wanted to travel, and then when I shifted for the first time, I felt like I was going to be stuck on the rez for the rest of my life."

"Trust me, i know that feeling." Nichole took his hand, giving it a light squeeze. "Maybe not exactly the same though. When I was still living with my biological father, I thought that was going to be where I stayed for the rest of my life, but one night, realization dawned on me. No one else can control what you do with your life but you. They can try to, and sometimes they might, but only for as long as you let them. Don't let someone else control your path, Jared. If you want to travel, then travel. You didn't ask to be a guardian of Forks, you didn't ask to be a wolf. That's a lot to be put on an adult's shoulders, let alone teenagers like you and Jacob."

"How the hell is it that you're not a philosopher or something?"

Nichole couldn't help but laugh. "The thought has crossed Esme and Carlisle's minds a time or two. He thinks that when I go to college, I should study philosophy or something along those lines."

"is that what you want to do?"

"I don't know. I haven't really given college a whole lot of thought, especially with everything that has been going on these days, you know? I mean, I have a psychopathic vampire after me, I don't think that college is going to be in the cards for some time."

"Oh, I don't know about that. Jacob and I could stay on the campus, be your bodyguards." Jared teased, and Nichole shook her head good naturedly as she shut her suitcase. "Yeah, I don't think that you guys would find my classes very interesting, and you wouldn't be very good bodyguards if you fall asleep."

"We would not fall asleep!" Jared retorted as he took her suitcase, leaving the room with her.

"All lies."

The two were laughing as they walked down the stairs, causing the others to look at them.

"You've got a killer after you and you're laughing?" Edward asked in a bemused voice.

"Well, yeah, you can't help but laugh when you're around this clown." Nichole said as she nudged Jared.

"Ain't that the truth." Said Jacob with a grin.

"You're not supposed to agree with her!" Jared objected. Nichole snuck a glance at Alice, and she saw that the woman was smiling tenderly. Her eyes met Jared's, and Nichole noticed something change in Jared's eyes. A quick look at Jacob told Nichole that he had realized this as well. Jared had just imprinted on Alice. Nichole wasn't at all sure how things were going to play out, but now there was no question that Jared was going to be coming with them.

"Um, Alice, why don't you and Jared ride together?" Nichole suggested, knowing that they would have quite a bit to talk about. " Jasper, you mind riding with me, there's some things that I want to talk to you about."

"The rest of us can take Emmett's jeep, Edward's car, and my own." Carlisle said. "Let's get going. The sooner that we get out of here, the better off that we're going to be."