Chapter 50

The next morning, Jacob and Nichole went to the house that Carlisle had bought in the mountains. Jared was getting the things that they needed to set up a security perimeter, and the others were all in the nearest town over, making sure that neither Aro nor any of his followers were there.

The house was ginormous, and more than big enough for all of them to comfortably live in.

"Woah..." Jacob said as he looked around, his eyes wide in shock. "Just how much money does Carlisle have?"

"Well, years upon years of being a doctor and knowing how to invest wisely will get you there."

"No wonder why my dad wanted me to go to medical school."

Nichole laughed at that. "I honestly can't see you being a doctor, if anything, you would be the nurse that everyone is convinced is gay."

"At least it would give me an excuse to look at all the hot patients that would be coming in."

"Gross, Black." Nichole pretended to gag as she lightly shoved him. "Remind me why I love you again?"

"Because I'm charming, charismatic, and hot as hell."

"Well, I don't know about the last one-"

"I'm hot and you can't deny it."

"Okay, okay, whatever." Nichole rolled her eyes as Jared entered the house, and he cocked an eyebrow at the two of them. "Am I interrupting something here?"

"Nichole refuses to accept the fact that I'm hot," Jacob stated, and Jared tilted his head, as though he was thinking about it, before he just shrugged his shoulders. "I've seen better." He said, and Jacob let out a loud gasp as Nichole was practically doubled over with laughter.

"I don't see what you find so funny about all of this," Jacob muttered to Nichole.

"Your ego being knocked down a few pegs, that's what's so funny about all of this."

"As much as I would really like to continue with all of this banter, but we kind of have work to do," Jared said, holding up the bags that he had in his hands. "And there's no way that I'm going to be putting up all of these cameras by myself, so let's get to work ladies."

The others arrived just as they finished setting the cameras up.

"Oh sure, now you show up." Nichole teased the others. "You show up when all of the work is already done."

"Oh trust me, there's still work to be done," Carlisle said. "Cameras alone aren't going to cut it, there isn't going to be someone watching the cameras all the time, so that's why we're going to be setting up some old-fashioned traps as well."

"Oh, God." Nichole couldn't help it, there was something slightly humorous about all of this. "It's going to be like the vampire version of Home Alone."

"Let's just hope that they don't flood the house when they try to rob it," Jacob commented dryly.

"Now, when you talk old-fashioned, do you mean like twine that's attached to tin cans and stuff like that?" Nichole asked, to which Carlisle chuckled softly. "Something like that."

"Jesus, you really are old, aren't you?"

"If that had been said from anyone else, I might take offense to it." Carlisle chuckled. "Nichole, I want you to stay inside while the rest of us work on these traps, alright?"

"What?" Nichole groaned. "But I want to help you guys!"

"Nichole, it is far too dangerous for you to be outside."

"How is it dangerous? No one even knows where we're at!"

Carlisle sighed, rubbing his face. "Nichole, please just do as I say-"

"You guys are always sticking your necks out for me, I just don't see why I can't do the same for you guys!"

"Nichole, we're supernatural creatures with supernatural abilities." Rosalie pointed out to her in a gentle tone. "You're human, if you were to come up against a vampire, there's no way that you would win, and unless you do what we say, there's no guarantee that we'll always be around to protect you. Do you want to help us? The best way that you can help us is by doing what Carlisle says and just stay in the house."

Rosalie took Nichole's hand. "I know that you want to help Nichole, and that you may feel powerless, especially right now, but it really would be best if you stayed in the house. Tell you what, while we're getting things ready outside, why don't you start cleaning inside?" She glanced around in slight distaste. "It looks like it's been a while since anyone has vacuumed or dusted in here."

Nichole sighed in defeat, silently nodding her head. "Alright." She muttered, she supposed that it was better than just sitting around and doing nothing at all.