Chapter 54

When Jane had left Bella in town, she had staggered into a diner, asking to use their phone. Everyone in that diner stared at Bella's condition in shock, and finally, Bella had had to shout at a waitress before someone sprung into action.

Naturally, she called Edward.

"Bella! Where are you?!" You could hear the relief that flooded Edward's voice. "Aro's followers suddenly retreated, we all went back to the house, but you and Nichole weren't there."

"They retreated because Aro got what he wanted," Bella said in a grim tone, her voice weak because of Jane's torture. "He's got Nichole, Edward."

Edward could be heard cursing under his breath. "Where are you? I'm coming to get you."

"I'm at a diner in the village. Aro had Jane drop me off here."

"Drop you off? You mean you were with them? Are you hurt?"

"Jane...she used her powers on me to get to Nichole. It hurts so much Edward..."

"Look, just stay right there, okay? I'm going to come and get you. Just don't move from that spot."

After Edward had brought Bella back to the house, she tried to explain to them as best as she could what had happened to Nichole.

"We should have known that Aro would resort to something like this." Carlisle sighed. "I should have had someone stay in the house with the two girls."

Esme went over to Bella and put a hand on the girl's shoulder. "I'm sure that you're exhausted, why don't we get you cleaned up and then have you lay down for a little bit?"

"I'm sorry," Bella whispered as Esme led her up the stairs. "I tried to fight Jane, I really did-"

"Bella, none of this is your fault," Esme said, pulling Bella into a tight hug. "Aro wanted Nichole, and until he's dead, he's going to make sure that he gets to keep her. He's a very dangerous man, you're lucky that you came out of this alive."

"But what about Nichole? We have no idea what Aro is planning on doing with her."

"Whatever Aro's plans are with Nichole, I'm fairly certain that he's planning on keeping her alive. He seemed quite adamant to have her as his...um...bride."

Bella felt herself retching a bit in her mouth. "That will never be not disgusting. Aren't you worried about her?"

"Of course I am, I'm terrified for her. But there's nothing that I can do about it, the only thing that I can do is hope and pray that she's strong enough to make it through this."

"You're a praying woman?" Bella asked in surprise, and Esme chuckled a bit. "A lot of vampires see themselves as cursed, but I see it as being given a gift."

"Like, a gift from God kind of thing?"

"Something like that. We have powers that other humans don't, and I think that we should use those powers to help others. Not all vampires think like that, which is why a lot of them think that we're on the wrong side."

"Do you think that they'll ever change their minds about you guys?"

"I don't know, but I can remain hopeful, that's about all that any of us can do."

Bella shook her head. "How do you guys manage to stay hopeful all of the time?"

"Because it's better then the dark abyss of despair that we would fall into otherwise."

"You mean like Edward?"

Esme sighed softly. "I will admit that when Edward was first turned, he didn't exactly take it the best. He killed a lot of people. Bad people, but he still killed. Eventually he found Carlisle again, and Carlisle helped him to become a vegetarian like the rest of us. He still has his bad days, thinking that someone like him, like us, shouldn't be around, but he's getting better, especially since he met you."

Bella blushed a bit. "I mean, I haven't really done that much."

"Oh Bella, you've done so much more to help him then you realize."

"I have?"

"I've never seen Edward as happy as he is when he's around you. You may not realize it, but you're making him into a better person."

As if on cue, Edward knocked on the door.

"Well, speak of the devil. I'll let you two talk." Esme kissed Bella on the head gently before she left the room, patting Edward on the shoulder as she did so.

"How are you feeling?" Edward asked, leaning against the frame of the door.

"Really, really tired, but other then that, I think that I'm okay. I just can't get my mind off of Nichole."

"I know." Edward went over to Bella, wrapping his arms around her. "But like Esme said, the only thing that we can do is pray that Nichole is strong enough to hold out."

"And what happens when that strength runs out, Edward? What's going to happen then?" Bella hid her face in Edward's chest, and he sighed softly. "I don't know, Bella. I wish that I knew the answer to that." He had an idea of the things that Aro was going to do to Nichole, but there was no way that he was going to tell Bella that, she had already been through enough as it was. "Try and get some sleep, alright?"

There was no response. Bella had fallen asleep leaning against him, and Edward smiled softly. "Don't worry." He whispered as he carried her to bed. "We'll get her back Bella, I promise you that."