thirty-three

The cold air was refreshing to her lungs as she ran around the compound. She needed out of the walls of the place, out of the control room that she had been working from for the last five years. Steve kept nagging her about moving out, which they finally did, but she still spent most of her waking moments here. They planned their wedding together, but there was only so much they could do with no guest list. He could see her wearing herself down, but she was still determined to get them back, even though she was the only one who had any hope left.

She arrived back at the compound, her chest hurting from the cold air. She went to the fridge and pulled a bottle of water out, chugging half of it and breathing hard. Steve joined her on the compound today, having to run some data and do some digging for S.H.I.E.L.D. Director Coulson had been dusted along with Agent Johnson and Dr. Simmons, so Agent May was the acting director and had been working with the captain. She took a few deep breaths before grabbing a pre-made sandwich out of the fridge, then went and found Steve in the conference room, where he looked up from the screen in front of him when she walked in the door, a smile on his face.

"How was your run?" He asked her as she walked over and sat on his lap, curling her arms around his neck.

"Went a good fifteen miles." She responded, looking at her watch for an exact number.

"Only fifteen? You're slacking, Amsel." He chuckled, and she looked at him with a gaping mouth.

"You go try and run out in that cold." She told him, getting up from her seat and pushing it backwards so he rolled away as she took the seat next to him.

"I'll leave it to you." He sighed.

"Get that info May wanted?" She asked him.

"Still working on it, but we should be wrapping the case up shortly. From the looks of it, it just seems like a huge misunderstanding." He explained as he took his glasses off, running a hand through his hair. She was glad that he kept the beard, but his hair was short once again, which she was a little bummed about. Before she could say anything, a notification came up on the hologram from their front gate at the compound, for someone had rung. She furrowed her brows, for they had not had a visitor in years, but answered it anyway. There was a man outside, waving his arms at the camera.

"Oh, hi! Hi! Is anyone home?" The man asked. "This is Scott Lang! We met a few years ago in Germany!" He added, and that was when Steve looked up, now intrigued. "I was the guy that got really big, I had a mask on. You wouldn't recognize me, but I'm Ant-Man."

"Is this an old message?" Steve asked, looking over to her.

"No, it's the front gate." Emilia responded, a small smile coming to her lips.

"I really need to talk to you guys!" Scott pleaded. She looked at all the controls and opened the gate for him, and he looked at the sound of the now rusted metal as it slowly opened. "Thank you!" He said as he got back into his van.

"Wasn't he blipped with the rest of them?" Steve asked.

"I thought so, he was reported missing so we put him on the list of those who were killed." She answered, getting up from her seat and making her way towards the front door of the compound where he would pull up, Steve right behind her. She got to the front door just as Scott pulled up, opening it and stepping outside.

"My God is it good to see a familiar face." Steve muttered as he walked up to them, shaking his hand. Scott pulled the soldier in for a hug, which he embraced.

"Mr. Lang, we thought you were dead." Emilia said.

"I don't know who you are, but it's nice to meet you." He said, going to hug her.