Chapter 4

I was back in the spider's web

That's what Elphame always reminded me of. The lands were beautiful—untouched by the harshness that had invaded mortal lands. When I was observing from afar, Elphame looked as peaceful as an untouched web with intricate beauty. But even if it was beautiful, I always knew there was something darker that lurked close by.

In the past before agreements with the other supernatural creatures were struck, faeries created the portals for their mischief and interactions with humans. They were very clever when they created the permanent portals and made it so humans were unable to cross through them without the escort of a faerie. The more vicious and malevolent fey would trap the humans in Elphame with no way home. Like a fly caught in a spider's web.

Soon, the other powerful creatures that dwelled in the mortal realm fought back against those malevolent fey and tentative agreements were formed. Laws and customs changed in Elphame to protect the humans they used to torment. Though, for some, the changes were ignored.

I wasn't sure if portal travel exhausted me so much because I was half-human or if it was like that for all fey. I never enjoyed the travel— and today was no different.

The feeling that washed over me when I took my first step through onto the soft grass was the strongest it had ever been. Each time I returned to Elphame, the fey part of me that was usually dormant and muted in the human world was unleashed tenfold. This time, however, the feeling hit me like a high-speed car crash.

"Your Highness!" One of the guards said in alarm as the impact propelled me backward, "are you okay? What happened?"

I didn't answer. Partially because I couldn't and partially because I didn't know the answer. The wind had been knocked out of me at the impact of whatever magic just hit me. She put a steadying arm out and I was grateful, but didn't take it.

The concerned faces of my guards were scouring mine for some kind of answer. I smoothed the concern off of my face into the more calculated and contained expression that a queen was supposed to have. Internally, the panic had set in.

I'd been in Elphame all of five seconds and already I had more questions.

"Portal travel tires me more than most fey," I told them with full confidence.

I had zero idea if that was true, but it was less concerning to my guards than if I told them I felt the weight of the magic in Elphame pressing down on my chest. Or that now I felt like I couldn't breathe with whatever energy was swirling and constricting around my neck. Or that it felt as though a piano wire had snapped against my spine.

Their concern didn't change, but they did nod at my response and followed without more fuss as I continued the path to the Summer Kingdom.

At least I was learning how to lie to some people.