Chapter 3

"I will spare you your feelings and go on with my life if you like it or not."
___________________

"Let me go Makarov! He's is in the car! He's my only brother!" Lydia yelled at him as she tried to wrestle out of his hold trying to get to the flipped over, upside down car which was now catching on fire. She could see her brother in the passenger seat struggling to unbuckle the seat belt.

"I can't Lydia! You'll die! The car's about to explode!" stated Makarov as he attempted to drag her away from the car. She couldn't understand why he wouldn't help him. He's still alive!

"He's alive! He's not dead!" She yelled as she fought harder trying to reach her brother but Makarov had a strong hold. Tears slid down her face when she realized he wasn't going save her brother from burning to death.

"He's gone! Your brother is gone!"

"No he's not!" Lydia screamed. She kicked her own partner in the shin. He let out a painful and surprise groan as he let her go and he crumpled to the ground like a sack of potatoes. She started running towards the burning car forgetting that she was almost three months pregnant. "Leonardo!" She shouted as she neared. The heat was so intense that it felt like her skin was blistering and cooking. She waved her hands to fan away the smoke trying not to inhale the deadly gas. "Leonardo! Say something?!"

"L-Lydia?" Her brother answered sounding full of hurt and pain. She followed his voice through the thick smoke.

"Where are you?!"

"Go! Just go Lydia!" She heard his voice shout out but she refused to listen. She didn't want lose him. She walked blindly until bumping into something that felt hot against her leg. It was the car. She dropped to her knees and saw him fighting with the seat belt. She blinked away the tears that threatened to spill due to the smoke stinging her eyes but she pushed forward. "Leo!" She yelled out as she crawled into the car, the broken glass cutting into her palms, legs and knees. She winced in pain as she grabbed onto the seat belt holding Leonardo upside down. She started pulling hard as she physically could, trying to make it tear or for it to at least give but the seat belt refused to budge.

"Go Lydia go!"

"No! I'm not losing you!"

"Just go Lydia!

"Leonardo please!" She begged, "Just hang on, I can get it off!" She snaked an arm around his waist and felt for button to release the seat belt. Just as she found the button and started to push down, two arms wrapped above her small round belly and pulled her away from Leonardo. "NO!" Was all she could scream. She shot a hand out and so did Leonardo. She could see the fear in his eyes. She felt him grasp her hand and they tried so desperately to keep their hands together but unfortunately due to the sweat and blood from both of them, Lydia's hand slipped out of his. Their fingertips brushing one another's as she was yanked away.

"LEONARDO!"
_________________

Her eyes flew open as she awoke suddenly. She felt her heart race a mile a minute. She could faintly still smell the car smoke, the pain in her palms, the sweat on both their faces. She couldn't help but ask herself why did Makarov left him to die? He knew he had to still be alive. He had to see that, he had too.

She almost had him.

Almost.

Lydia had many questions but not a single answer. She held onto hope maybe that one day she'll get her answers but from a sociopath that's on a killing spree and hellbent on possibly killing her, it seemed unlikely. She was scared and angry at him. He killed her brother and has caused a catastrophic war. Sometimes, she wished she never met him. Leonardo would be alive and she wouldn't be carrying a evil man's baby. If only she looked closer to his odd behavior because all the other red flags were there. She could've saved all those lives at the airport including her brothers. The memory of Leo's funeral flashed across her mind and the water works started again. Everybody was quiet at his burial. Only a few of Makarov's men stood beside her, silently crying along with her as they watched the coffin be lowered to the ground and the man responsible attempted to provide comfort but it came off forced and Lydia didn't want it. The ones who did provide comfort were the ones standing beside her, Yuri and Nikolai. Good men and great friends of hers. They haven't been seen since the funeral. Lydia wholeheartedly believes Makarov is to blame for their sudden disappearance.