the simulation

I look around, and there are five different lines to get into the school. Each one is for a different fraction. I start walking to the Candor line. Now, I've never really been a nervous type of person, but I'm definitely nervous now. When I get into line, I'm just walking slowly, waiting to get into the school. All of a sudden, Peter Hayes and his two annoying friends Drew and Molly decide to be right next to me. Now you might be thinking, what's the big deal their just people. You don't know them like I do. They've been bullys ever since they knew what the word was. "Look what we have here," Peter says with that annoying smirk. "Maeve Astor," "I bet she's gonna end up fractionless," Molly says to Drew. They've been dating since they were 13, one asshole with another asshole perfect sense. Normally, I ignore them they've been bullying me for years, I've just gotten used to it. But today is already nerve wrecking, I don't need them on top of it. So I simply just say. "Leave me alone." "Wow did you just talk back never? Did I think that could happen." Peter says. "Congratulations, today's your lucky day." I say as I walk into the school.

   When you walk in, there are a bunch of tables. You could definitely tell that fractions were staying in their own group because of the clothes. Run down on the clothes. Erudite where's blue, Candor where's black and white, Amity where's red, orange, and yellow, Dauntless where's black, and Abnegation where's gray. And none of those colors mix. Well, at least we know everyone is anti socal. The tests start to begin, and ten names are called at a time. And you now have to suffer with anticipation. The test administrators are a lot of Abnegation, an Erudite, and a Dauntless. You're not allowed to get tested by your own fraction. My name gets called, and I start to get up. I can hear pounding in my ears and feel this insufferable feeling in my stomach. I get to my room, and I see a Dauntless. She's a girl with dark black hair, dark brown angler eyes, and a lot of tattoos. "Have a seat and get comfortable," she says. "My name is Tori." I take a seat while I look at Tori working on the machine to my right. She presses an electrod to my forehead. "Nice tattoos," I say. "Thanks," Tori says nonchalantly. Tori puts another electrod to my forehead. She hands me a clear liquid drink. "Drink this," Tori says. "What even is this?" I ask. "Just trust me," Tori responds. I take a sip, and my eyelids become heavy until my eyes close
                     •~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•
   When I open my eyes. I'm back at where the tables are, but no one is there. Through the glass wall, I can see it's snowing. On the table in front of me, there are two baskets one has a chuck of cheese and the other has a knife. Behind me, a woman says, "Choose." "Ok?" I say skeptical. There are four options I could take just cheese, just the knife, none of them, or both. I take the knife. The baskets despair when I grabbed the knife. A dog apaired like a ghost. It crouches low and walks towards me. It starts growling. That's great. I start thinking that if the dog pounces at me, I can attack or run. I can't outrun it, so my option would be attacking it. It comes closer to me, and I hide the knife behind my back, waiting to see if I should attack. Instead of attacking, it starts licking my hand. "I guess you're not that bad after all," I say. Then I see a little girl walking to the dog saying, "Puppy." As she runs, I try to tell her about the dog, but before I can do anything, the dog starts running at her. I jump in front of her, but instead of the dog attacking me, the room changes.

   It's a bus, I'm standing in a aile. There's a man holding a newspaper in front of me. I can't see his face from where I am. But I can see his hands, which are burned. "Do you know this man?" He asks while he taps the newspaper where there is a man's photo. The headline said, "Brutal Murdar Finally Apprehend!"Well?" I hear anger in his voice, "Do you?" "No I can't  say that I do," I say back. He then stands, and I can now see his face. He's wearing dark sunglasses, and his mouth is bent into a snarl. "You're lying," he says. "I'm not though," I say. "I can see it in your eyes," he says. Is this man blind? "No, you can't," I say. "If you knew him, you can save me," he says. "I don't know him," I say.
                       •~•~•~•~•~•~•~•
   I wake up with sweat everywhere. When I look around, I see Tori behind me with an unreadable look on her face. She takes the electrods off of my forehead. "That was perplexing. Excuse me, I'll be back," Tori says. Huh, what is perplexing. I zone out for what feels like forever, and then Tori comes back. "Sorry to worry you," Tori says. "Typically, each stage of the simulation eliminates one or more of the fractions, but in your case, only one has been ruled out." "One?" I say back. "When you choose the knife, you ruled out Amity and gave traces of Dauntless. When the dog appeared, you thought of solutions that showed Erudite. And when the man appeared and asked you questions, you told him the truth, which showed Candor." Tori says, "On one hand you put yourself in between the dog and the little girl which showed Abnegation, on the other hand when the man told you you could help him you didn't which doesn't include Abnegation." Tori says, "Not running from the dog shows Dauntless." "So you have no idea what my aptitude is?" I ask. "Yes and no. My conclusion," she explains, "is that you display equal aptitude for Abnegation, Dauntless, Candor, and Erudite. People who get these results are..." she looks over her shoulder like she's expecting someone to burst in the room at any minute. "Are called Divergent," she says the last word so quietly it was hard to hear it. "Maeve, under no circumstances are you aloud to tell anyone this," she says sternly. "This is very important." "We aren't supposed to tell anyone this anyway," I say with a weirded out expression. "No," Tori kneels next to the chair and places her hand on the armchair rest. "This is different. I don't mean you shouldn't share this now, I mean, you should never share this with anyone, ever, no matter what happens. Divergence is extremely dangerous. You understand." "Okay," I stand up, feeling sick to my stomach. "I suggest," Tori says, "that you go home. You have a lot of thinking to do, and waiting with others may not help you." What am I even going to choose at the Choosing Ceremony. I have to choose now, not the test.

   Dauntless, Candor, Erudite, Abnegation.

   Divergent.