Tarheel

We started the hundred mile journey the next morning, taking our time to make sure our energy and resources lasted. We slept in small areas of the woods that we deemed as safe enough, taking turns keeping watch and staying awake by gazing up at the sky through leafless trees.

Yoongi woke me at dawn each morning, finding a breathtaking view where we did yoga and watched the sunrise. We hunted for animals that kept us fed along the way, making do with squirrels split between five and they coaxed me through my aversion to eating bugs when it became absolutely necessary.

We ran into a town that had been completely burned to the ground, only rubble and charred remains left of the old stores and homes that were visible from the road. We stood on the other side of a ditch that overlooked the city and I wondered what happened, what was so bad that it had to all end in fire.

"Let's keep going. I think we can make it to Kerr Lake by tonight." Yoongi sighed, the rest of us falling in line as he kept on our path.

There was always a change in the air as a body of water got nearer. Even with the way things were now, there was an airier feel in the breeze as we came upon one of the private parking lots that led out to the lake. We walked down a trail with trees and a small area that would have been used for grilling, taking off our shoes when we got to the gritty sand by the lakeside.

The moon reflected off the lake, the space peaceful, quiet as water lapped against the shore. I was the first to step inside, shivering at the cold water but glad for the feel of it against my dry skin.

I took a step farther as they followed in behind me, Jin and Yoongi stepping back as soon as they felt the icy temperature. I giggled at them, Jimin's bright white smile standing out against the dark from where he stood beside me.

There wasn't a moment to react between the time something took hold of my foot, pulling me with such force that I toppled into the lake, dragged under before I could take a breath.

I reached out in every direction, kicking my feet in an attempt to free myself and unable to see under the dark water, my fingers sinking through sand as I tried to grab for something, anything. My foot landed against whatever had a hold of me and it released its grasp for a second, allowing me the chance to get my footing again. I gasped as I emerged from the water, my entire body in shock from the cold, just enough time to hold my breath before I was pulled back under.

Water splashed all around me, a hand grabbing onto mine just as another took my ankle, the previous grip on it going limp as I was lifted back to the surface. I sputtered, regurgitating the water that I was close to swallowing over Yoongi's shoulder as he pulled me to his chest, wrapping his arms around me and panting with panic.

"It's okay, we've got you." He breathed as I reached out to touch Jimin, his entire body drenched in water from diving in after me.

The others surrounded us as we emerged from the lake, Jimin cursing and falling into the sand on his bottom once we were out. "Who knew the undead could live in water?"

Jin pulled a blanket that he'd fashioned to keep around his body from himself, draping it around us as our teeth chattered and checking my legs for any scratch marks. He and Namjoon, still mostly dry, sat on the shore around us, swathing us in their arms and legs to help us get warm. After too long without any relief from the cool air Jimin pointed out that our wet clothes were a problem, standing and stripping to his underwear.

He hung his clothes over a tree branch to dry, Yoongi doing the same. When I stayed dressed, continuing to quiver in my soaked clothes, Jin offered me his, handing them over to where I hid behind a tree and stepping out with the others, Namjoon giggling at their near nudity.